ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung's 24 x 220MB/s SSD RAID

<< < (2/7) > >>

nosh:
I just put these lines in a batch file that I ran from the same folder in the start menu as the shortcuts
access.lnk
powerpoint.lnk
word.lnk
excel.lnk

--- End quote ---

System Specs:
Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz (no overclocking)
Mobo Gigabyte EX38-DS4
Corsair DDR2 4 GB
ATI Radeon HD 4800 512MB
WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM

Darwin:
Cool - thanks, nosh! I'll have to give that a go on my system:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz 6MB L2 Cache 800Mhz
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2
Graphics: ATi Radeon HD2600 512MB GDDR3 800Mhz
Harddrive: Seagate ST9320421ASG Momentus G-Force 320GB 7200rpm

Darwin:
OK - stopped mouth-breathing and thought about this - I went to Dopus and navigated to my start menu and simply highlighted the four shortcuts to Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access and hit ENTER. All four loaded in under three seconds (but more than one - I used my mechanical wristwatch so the timing is not very accurate, but close enough). If I hadn't been timing it, it would have seemed instantaneous  ;D

BTW Nosh - very sweet system  :Thmbsup:

PS added in EDIT: Just to note, in my case this isn't a very fair assessment as my computer has been up and running for about 13 hours and I've used both Word and Excel in that time. FWIW, opening ALL the links in my Office 2007 Enterprise folder took 8 seconds, including clicking on five dialogues - one for OneNote (no, I did not want to create a Notebook) one for Groove (no, not interested in creating a profile), two related to WinPatrol 2007, one for UAC and the other from WP itself wanting to know if I approved of adding OneNote to my system startup folder (nope), and finally an inexplicable error message from Endnote (which is NOT set up to open automatically with Word) :P I also wound up with a second instance of Outlook open...

nosh:
I went to Dopus and navigated to my start menu and simply highlighted the four shortcuts to Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access and hit ENTER.
--- End quote ---

That didn't work for me using X² - it would just start Access and stop at that so I had to write the stupid batch file.  :tellme:

Deozaan:
I'm not impressed.

Of course if you build a super computer it's going to be fast. I'd like to know how SSD drives work in your average consumer PC to see if it's worth all the hype to get one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version