ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung's 24 x 220MB/s SSD RAID

<< < (6/7) > >>

f0dder:
Imho windows/whatever boottime is relatively irrelevant, especially since normal computer spend quite a lot time doing BIOS initialization code - which obviously isn't going to be affected by a SSD drive at all.

But application startup time is relevant enough - I'm generally annoyed at anything that takes more than half a second to start. I can forgive that for larger applications, but it still annoys me. If Visual Studio would go 1-second startup time and firefox would go down to a few hundred miliseconds, I'd be quite happy :)

Carol: use "start <whatever>" to do that - check "start /?" from a cmd.exe prompt, it can do lots of useful stuff.

Darwin:
How do you get it to do all four at once? I have tried BAT and CMD files but it loads the first app and only opens the second app when you close the first app window etc. ?
-Carol Haynes (March 11, 2009, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is how I did it (without a batch file): https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=17381.msg154388#msg154388

EDIT: blasted quotes keep getting messed up. Not my fault of course...

Carol Haynes:
Thanks yes - that works - don't ask how long it took, I gave up waiting and went and cooked dinner ;)

Shades:
Today I did remember the link that was mentioned in my previous post about using SSD as cache for RAID systems:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/58825/adaptec-toont-opslagsysteem-met-ssds-als-cachinglaag.html

It is in Dutch, but your friend Google will be able to translate for you.

f0dder:
Hmm, interesting - I wonder a bit if the caching is also meant to speed up writes on a RAID - after all, proper raid adapters have a decent amount of cache-ram, which should be enough to rearrange writes and give nice linear write-bursts. But using the SSD to cache writes that would later be used for reads, that could be interesting - especially for database systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version