ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: TV Show/Movie Library - Discussion

(1/4) > >>

Coeluh:
Hi There,

Please leave a message about what you think about this idea.

I've been looking for a perfect app for a year now, and I've still not been able to find anything that totally fits me. What am I looking for? Not a full screen media center like XBMC, nor MediaPortal. This is just a simple app which minimizes to tray. First priority is TV Shows management, but Movies would be nice though.

A user enters a path to a folder where (mulitple) tv shows are around. The multimedia files will be scanned and based on filenames more information will be downoaded with the thetvdb api. (e.g. thumbnail, official title, release date, plot etc) The downloaded information will be stored in a database file (xml maybe? per tv show 1?). You could see the hierarchy as a tree:
TV Show - Season - Episode

The app should not run in full screen by default (maybe an option for later on). The most important part is the UI. I want it to be simple but sleek and smooth.

The most important part is: When you clicked a file to start playing it, it does open in a custom external media player. This is because this app is just a library, not a media center.

Movies could be scraped and added the same way as tv shows, but with some different scraper like imdb.

This is just a way too difficult idea, but it would be sweet if it would work...

brotherS:
Ok, my comment: if you watch so many TV shows that you need/want such a program, you might want to think about cutting it down a bit.  8)

"Television is the creamy filling that distracts us from the substance of our lives."
-- Author unknown

lanux128:
i've heard of Media Companion but haven't tried it.

Media Companion is a program created for people who keep large collections of media and wish to catalogue and organise it.

It has the ability to parse media files and download corresponding information from the internet, this includes movie plot, rating, actor details, backdrops, posters and much more.

While the above is largely automatic the program also allows the user to edit all information downloaded, and browse all available posters and backdrops for selection.-website
--- End quote ---

• http://www.billyad2000.co.uk/

Coeluh:
Ok, my comment: if you watch so many TV shows that you need/want such a program, you might want to think about cutting it down a bit.  8)

"Television is the creamy filling that distracts us from the substance of our lives."
-- Author unknown
-brotherS (March 10, 2009, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are a parent yourself right?

i've heard of Media Companion but haven't tried it.

Media Companion is a program created for people who keep large collections of media and wish to catalogue and organise it.

It has the ability to parse media files and download corresponding information from the internet, this includes movie plot, rating, actor details, backdrops, posters and much more.

While the above is largely automatic the program also allows the user to edit all information downloaded, and browse all available posters and backdrops for selection.-website
--- End quote ---

• http://www.billyad2000.co.uk/
-lanux128 (March 10, 2009, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've tried it. The UI is in one word terrible. It sucks big time.

lanux128:
I've tried it. The UI is in one word terrible. It sucks big time.-Coeluh (March 10, 2009, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, it looked quite busy.. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version