ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

<< < (2/33) > >>

Crush:
What kind of renaming rules could be defined?
Cut off
remove " :/\;_-|"?
delete numbers
shorten word parts with first 1-2 chars + "." or only use the characters
A really cool thing would be replacing shorter acronyms of name parts.

lanux128:
If you all don't mind me getting a bit of sleep, I can tackle this one later today/tonight.  What sort of rules were you guys thinking about?-skwire (March 10, 2009, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

i'd like all the filenames in a flattened view (sans folder) and when i press F2, i'd be able to rename them one at a time.

for repeated usage though, some rules to shorten filenames can be:
- replace given words with another
- remove whitespace, dots, underscore
- remove vowels
- truncate user-defined chars from left or right

rjbull:
1-4A Rename has built-in features for shortening names for burning CDs:

Shorten filenames for CD-Rs

If you write CDs they can only can contain filenames with 64 chars or less. Thus 1-4a rename can try to

1. Shorten the filename: deleting unnecessary spaces (additional to the above mentioned function)
   2. Destruct the filename "Remix" => "Rmx" etc.
   3. Delete space between letters and make letters uppercase: "Michael Jackson-Beat it.mp3" => "MichaelJackson-BeatIt.mp3"
   4. Delete Vowels "Stevie Wonder - Happy birthday" => "Stv Wndr - Hppy brthdy"
   5. Delete double letters: "Madonna" =>"Madona"

You will see the changes immediately plus the number of letters above 64.

Additionally you can choose to not accept changes, if the filename is still too long.
--- End quote ---

mouser:
might be nice to have it also automatically detect when there are character sets used in files that can be troublesome.

rjbull's point makes me think that, maybe the main thing this program could do is find the files whose names (including or excluding path) or too long, and then list them in an explorer-compatible window -- where one could then drag and drop them to a renamer or use F2 or normal right-click context menu to manually rename.

in other words -- the program itself wouldn't nesc. have to do anything but locate the files and present them in a way that you could use other tools to fix the names.

does seem like their could be some tricky issues though..
youd want to also put in some protection against people running this on their windows or Program Files\ directories by accident though.. shudder to think.

lanux128:
1-4A Rename has built-in features for shortening names for burning CDs:-rjbull (March 10, 2009, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

i've been using 1-4a rename but it doesn't allow any user-defined character length, only 64 chars or more is detected as too long.. anyway, i'm not looking for full-blown renamer.

as mentioned above, just a simple app that will load given folders/files, checks against user-defined length and report back the status. additionally if it allows me to rename by pressing F2 within the GUI, i'd be most happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version