topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them  (Read 101993 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
did you click on the MRU menu option (it doesn't automagically display)

it's working here
 (see attachment in previous post)
what's in your ini file (curious to know if the MRU entries are getting saved)

Yes, I did click the MRU menu option. Nothing occurs -- no sub-menu.
Here's the quirky bit, in the .ini file the [MRU] section is nicely populated (MRU1 through MRU9) with the file name of the last directory opened!
So,
Deleted the .ini
Ran MTF
Opened folder.
Closed MTF
Opened .ini
Confirmed folder appears in ini MRU list -- it does
Closed .ini
Ran MTF
Clicked File/MRU
No sub-menu
??

Clearly it's me if it's working for you.  What have I missed?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clearly it's me...

clearly...

to be honest I have no idea what your problem might be (hehehe) - try deleting all your current verions and running the attached and see what happens (at least we'll be sure to be running the same versions)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:21 PM by Target »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clearly it's me...

clearly...

to be honest I have no idea what your problem might be (hehehe) - try deleting all your current verions and running the attached and see what happens (at least we'll be sure to be running the same versions)

Did that. Works now. Well done!
Odd, because the version I was using was the most recent previous one (that fixed the comma-in-name issue).

Well now how am I going to find a way to torment you?

:Thmbsup:

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I'm sure you'll come up with something (your challenge, should you choose to except it...)

and if no one's got anything else on the the current incarnation (anyone?) I might try my hand at a version with a preview of the changes...

Lanux - i can't duplicate your issue with the options dialog box.  I tried several different resolutions but they all displayed fine (if you're still listening, are you still having this issue??)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I'm sure you'll come up with something (your challenge, should you choose to except it...)
Leave it out, mate, that's impossible!

I might try my hand at a version with a preview of the changes...
-Target
Icing on the cake would be some form of live highlighting that responds to the spinner,
such that the effect of setting mid values would be visible in the display.
HL.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lanux - i can't duplicate your issue with the options dialog box.  I tried several different resolutions but they all displayed fine (if you're still listening, are you still having this issue??)

don't worry, i'm still listening. it's a bit better now. see for yourself.. also nice work on the MRU.. :up:

NowBefore
ws-maim-00.png

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Icing on the cake would be some form of live highlighting that responds to the spinner,
such that the effect of setting mid values would be visible in the display. (see attachment in previous post)
-cranioscopical (April 21, 2009, 07:23 AM)

not sure how if that is even possible, but I'll have a look - I was actually thinking more along the lines of this

MTF2.pngIDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

changes would be displayed in real time, but not applied until you actually APPLY them

don't worry, i'm still listening. it's a bit better now. see for yourself.. also nice work on the MRU.. :up:

i can make the dialog a little taller if you'd like

and just out of curiosity, has this been of any use to you?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Icing on the cake would be some form of live highlighting that responds to the spinner
-cranioscopical (April 21, 2009, 07:23 AM)
not sure how if that is even possible, but I'll have a look -
It's not worth more than three or four bus trips.
My problem is that I find it a bit difficult to count characters on the screen but that's for me to solve if the coding is a swine to do.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of this
 (see attachment in previous post)
changes would be displayed in real time, but not applied until you actually APPLY them
-Target
The live preview thing looks spiffy.

-Target
Not addressed to me, but heck no! For my part I was simply stringing you along to see how far you'd take it :)

Kidding aside, this is a very nice tool and I certainly do appreciate the effort that's gone into it.
I still burn stuff to CDs for use in one of our cars and file names can be a problem there.
MTF will be very useful.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not addressed to me, but heck no! For my part I was simply stringing you along to see how far you'd take it :)

I figured as much

MTF will be very useful.

glad to hear it - I was really just curious, 'cos I probably won't (I generally change my settings to allow writing of  r e a l l y  l o n g  n a m e s  (joliet?))

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quote from: lanux128 on Today at 06:53:38 AM
don't worry, i'm still listening. it's a bit better now. see for yourself.. also nice work on the MRU.. thumbs up

i can make the dialog a little taller if you'd like

i've been a very interested observer but i haven't used it as much i would like to.. :(

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a
i've been a very interested observer but i haven't used it as much i would like to.. :(

not a problem, just curious as you did say Skwire's solution fulfilled your requirements... 

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I generally change my settings to allow writing of  r e a l l y  l o n g  n a m e s  (joliet?)
Oh, the cr*p you let onto your system!
It's time for a better scheme than that.
Wherefore art thou, Romeo?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wherefore art thou, Romeo?

check the coding snacks forum...

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hello - I know I am responding to an old thread (hopefully someone will read this)

Question about this software:
1)
right now it cuts by nnn characters
is it possible to make it cut back TO nnn characters instead?

For example, I want the total length of all - folder/paths etc. to be 180 characters, so whatever the length,
when cutting back length should remain 180 characters)
(a bit similar to CutLongNames.exe)

2) when cutting back a list of files, it should add a digit to avoid duplicate errors
so
files that have been cut back, should then read
longfilenamescutbackto180char_01.jpg
longfilenamescutbackto180char_02.jpg
longfilenamescutbackto180char_03.jpg

3)
is it possible to make this as a plug-in for Directory Opus (or work as a toolbar button)

4)
is it possible to add this to shell:sendto context menu.
meaning:
I would select a number of files, then select context menu "Maim The File" - and 'send' the files to Main The File so they are then cut back as per settings saved in Maim The File.

(Maim - what does this stand for?)

=

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
right now it cuts by nnn characters
is it possible to make it cut back TO nnn characters instead?

should be possible, though there is a likelyhood that you'll end up with nonsense filenames.  And what do we do where the path is the offending portion of the string (eg path lengths of 175+ characters)? 

is it possible to make this as a plug-in for Directory Opus (or work as a toolbar button)

I don't use dopus so I can't help with this, but plenty here do so someone else may be able to advise

is it possible to add this to shell:sendto context menu.
meaning:
I would select a number of files, then select context menu "Maim The File" - and 'send' the files to Main The File so they are then cut back as per settings saved in Maim The File.

possibly... it could certainly be added to the context menu, but what you're asking for is more of a batch operation which is something I'll have to look into...

(Maim - what does this stand for?)

to maim is to injure such that a permanent disfigurement results.  It was a play on words given the potential for damage when renaming files