ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

adding memory to my Dell Precision 380

<< < (3/3)

mwb1100:
Tried Crucial's customer support? Might be able to send it back or get a refund of some type...
-wreckedcarzz (April 10, 2009, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought that if you bought memory recommended by their tool and things didn't work that you'd get your money back.  Probably small consolation, but Crucial shouldn't give any hassle on the refund.

Deozaan:
I contacted support and am still awaiting a response.

Deozaan:
Got a response from them today.

They said that their website clearly says my netbook can't handle any upgrades, and that if the scanner misidentified my PC, well, I agreed to that possibility happening before running the scanner.

The good news is that my warranty is probably still valid, considering the following:

Opening up your system and adding Crucial RAM should in NO WAY void your original warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Act, enacted into law by the US Congress in 1975, protects consumers' right to use the products they want.

How does it work? In legal terms, the Act prohibits manufacturers from requiring consumers to use products or services from a particular manufacturer in order to keep their original product warranty valid. That means, in most cases, you don't have to upgrade with your system manufacturer's memory or memory from another manufacturer specified by your system manufacturer to maintain your system warranty.

In much simpler terms, you can add Crucial RAM and your system warranty will remain valid!-http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3421
--- End quote ---

I guess I just need to write back now and ask what to do with the RAM I can't use. Am I SOL because I clicked the checkbox saying I agreed to the license or will they give me my money back? Time will tell.

jaybibbs:
Netbooks just sound like small nightmares to me.  I think I'll just tote my full size laptop around.

Anyhow, I second the other sites for memory and also have had good luck at www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Cheers.

wreckedcarzz:
Netbooks just sound like small nightmares to me.  I think I'll just tote my full size laptop around.

Anyhow, I second the other sites for memory and also have had good luck at www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Cheers.
-jaybibbs (October 26, 2009, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I got an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-P about 2 months ago and I am *loving* it. The RAM upgrade took a whole 10 minutes, the majority of the time spent locating a usable screwdriver and getting the screw out (it was surprisingly long). 1GB switched out for 2, and it was a whole lot easier than the whole take-out-the-keyboard-and-half-the-internals that would have been required for my old Compaq NC6000!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version