ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

adding memory to my Dell Precision 380

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Crucial's scan tool, followed by recommendations, was very good.  They confirm that anything above 4 gigs (ie. 3.5) is simply lost to Windows 32-bit OS (one Dell salesman thought otherwise, as if the applications could address what Windows did not see !).  They also make it clear that I can leave in my 512s, which I did not realize. And put in a pair of 1 gigabyte additions for a bit over $30 -- totaling 3 gigs, or I can put in a pair of 2 gigabyte additions totaling about $50.  (Actually Dell would be a smidgen cheaper on this last one, the extra accuracy and knowledge and help of Crucial leans towards them.  Close call, since the puter is Dell, the fact that one fella actually recommended 8 gigs is a Dell- strike.)

Then there is the possibility of loading a 64-bit Linux .. will that work on my CPU ?  Apparently the Pentium 4 is 64-bit, so that might be .. conceivably, a future advantage of having the extra memory, if I do intensive Linux -- Real Soon Now.  Anyway the difference from usable 3 gig to 3.5 on XP probably justifies the $20 (less if Dell memory).

The last question is how much would a downgraded Vista (running XP) cost these days new. My favorite downgrade boxes have been PowerSpec, and I can pick up a discount from the returns at MicroCenter.  (Did that instead of Dell for my work puter less than a year ago, worked fine.) Example (assume it has the downgrade, ie. Vista-legal yet loaded with XP)

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=B700
PowerSpec® B700
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor E7200
# 4GB DDR2-800 RAM

And I assume that is quite a bit quicker processor (and larger disk, faster video card, L2 cache etc) than my current system.  Well actually the gigahertz is technically lower, however the Duo Processor should be a decent speedup.  (Although most wait time is Internet or memory swap, not processor speed, since I am not a gamer.)

So it is probably time for a $500-600 upgrade, making my Dell the 2nd system. XP limitations (stacks and such as well as 32-bit) will be unchanged, everything else will be faster.  Or wait for Windows 7.  Or see if the current Vista-dog barks.

Oh, yeah, I would also check Dell's deals du jour before such a purchase.  
Anybody else ?  Here is my shopping-store list.

PowerSpec at Microcenter returns (they have a stack with other companies too, PS tends to be their best deal)
Dell deals
Tiger Direct - e.g Systemax VXQ2

Other web bargains
Craigslist (especially for the extras that can come with a slightly used system).

Used I find good for $100-150 puters for friends, not so much for newish ones, since the sellers often did not get a very good deal, nor do they realize how quickly the tech changes.

Anybody else to add to my shopping list for my new #1 system ?  
On my XP box, do I care much if it is Intel or AMD ?

PowerSpec and Dell have both given me good support over the years, surprisingly enough, on about two puters each.  (Even HP was good, however that was many years back.) I wouldn't mind trying a box like Systemax, if I get a good box at a comparable price, I didn't realize that they connected with Tiger Direct.  ZDNet mentions others of the smaller size also like Cyberpower, Polywell, iBuyPower, but if they don't have a connection like Systemax-->Tiger Direct the price will probably be significantly higher. (I checked some of these when I did my last PowerSpec.) Some are more gamer oriented.  Anybody have a Systemax quality and support report ?

(Hey, I am hijacking my own memory thread .. going into computer purchase !)

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Deozaan:
I'm not happy with Crucial right now. >:(

I scanned my wife's computer and it recommended two 1GB sticks for her laptop and I decided to try my MSI Wind again and this time it said I could upgrade another 1GB. So I ordered all 3 sticks and got them today.

I installed my wife's new RAM first and was finished in 4 minutes. Then I started the process of taking apart my netbook and spent a few minutes unscrewing all the screws and working the entire bottom off the thing. I finally got it off and lo and behold there is no memory slot for the stick of RAM I've got.  >:(  :mad:

Now I'm doubly mad! I was certain when I ordered this that I could upgrade it to 2GB of RAM and Crucial led me to believe it was also possible. Now I've broken the warranty sticker to upgrade the RAM (because I read online that MSI decided to allow people to upgrade the RAM without voiding the warranty) and there is no way to upgrade the RAM!

:down: >:( :mad: :down:

wreckedcarzz:
 :(

It *is* a netbook (not made for speed, so I wouldn't expect it to have multiple RAM slots), but still, that's bad...
Tried Crucial's customer support? Might be able to send it back or get a refund of some type...

Deozaan:
:(

It *is* a netbook (not made for speed, so I wouldn't expect it to have multiple RAM slots), but still, that's bad...
Tried Crucial's customer support? Might be able to send it back or get a refund of some type...
-wreckedcarzz (April 10, 2009, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently, the model I bought is the only MSI Wind that DOESN'T have an extra RAM slot. They decided instead to put some stupid 3G cell phone thing I'll never use in there instead.

ARGH!

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

My install of the 4 Gb went fine.  Dell had the best price and with it being their puter they were quite helpful with a little tech support (after a minor bouncing around their phone-land).  Getting the side open was a breeze, no screws.  The memory was a little awkward to get at .. but hey, its the inside of a computer, what do you expect. I had to move out the 512Mg from the #1 and #2 slots (white in Dell) .. information that was not clearly given on many sites or in their directions although I remember seeing it in one place as a basic idea .. and put the 2 Gg memory sticks in those spots and the 512Mg went to #3 and #4 (black on Dell).  Even if the 2 512 Mg don't really do anything right now, they are just as well in the puter as loose.

Dell did a good job on price and on support and ease of opening the puter case. And the puter runs much better.

Shalom,
Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version