topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: "push" alternative to "copy" in context menu  (Read 10600 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: "push" alternative to "copy" in context menu
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I like to organize my shortcuts(I don't use start menu if I can avoid it) into categories.  One thing I notice is it's kind of a pain to go into the Start Menu and either drag a shortcut to my shortcuts folder(say a folder named Utils or whatever) and go get the next one etc.. (Plus for some weird reason I never figured out, if you "explore" the start menu to make it easier to drag & drop stuff you never seem to get all the folders.)

I thought it might be a useful idea to have a "push" in the context menu so that as I go through the start menu I can "push" them onto the stack... then when I'm done, I go to Utils and right click the mouse or do some hotkey and they all "pop"(perhaps an additional choice to just pop top of stack?) as shortcuts in the folder.

I'm still struggling with AutoHotKey syntax(have to spend maybe 20 minutes in the help for each line typed) so I thought I'd toss it out there and see if it's been done or is a bad idea or whatnot.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: "push" alternative to "copy" in context menu
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:23 AM »
(Plus for some weird reason I never figured out, if you "explore" the start menu to make it easier to drag & drop stuff you never seem to get all the folders.)

I bet it's All Users / Current User drama.

I'll give it a shot.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:00 AM »
I read shortcutty description.  I also tried just using the Send To mechanism and it can sort of do something similar.  What I think would be ideal though is some app that while running has a stack that's invisible to the user.  When you have something highlighted in explorer or start menu, hit the trigger(preferably something that doesn't pull the mouse off what you are doing.. I'm more of a mouser than keyboard guy) and the item is pushed on the stack(with maybe some optional indicator of success like a user selectable beep tone or something.)  Then when done you can open any folder you want and pop one or pop all and just dump the shortcuts there.  Even a small limit like maybe a stack of 32 entries should be more than enough.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Maybe you want something like Piky Basket?
PikyBasket lets you select files from different folders before actually pasting them all together (copy, copy, copy & then finally paste). Integrated with Windows Explorer and other popular file managers.

(30% donationcoder discount here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14845.0)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Hmmmmmm so far anything I've tried that modifies the Explorer or file open/close dialogs has made things really fragile.  Ideally you wouldn't even need to go as far as the context menu.  Say for example you are in the Start Menu and have an application highlighted with the mouse.  Some key trigger like whatever+Windows key or something, and the selected should be pushed.  That way you can just continue on until you wish to dump them all.  Open any folder and do a Pop All and the shortcuts are pasted.  Seems like AutoHotKey should be able to do it without too much trouble.  Only thing for me is until I get into the syntax more just opening and .ini file and reading a value out would probably take me 2 hours!!  Somebody inured to ahk could prolly crank it out easily.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58 PM »
you know that working in the start menu itself is not an efficient way to work with many shortcuts -- if you simply go to the hard drive folder where the start menu is kept (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\) then you can use your favorite file explorer tool to do the kinds of things you are interested in, or move+copy bulk stuff much more easily.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I understand.  I almost never use the start menu.  I have a home made toolbar that's just categorized folders with shortcuts, for the stuff I use often enough, but not often enough to be in QuickLaunch.

I just thought it might be novel to use a Push paradigm.  But I see after messing around it's probably not worth the effort involved.  :)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Jellyfish Stack
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Jellyfish Stack
a better way to copy files

screenie.PNG

Instructions

• When you send a file to the stack (Right click, send to, stack) it gets Pushed into it.
    • When you send a FOLDER to the stack, the main UI shows up, and you can select what files to copy to the folder you just pushed.
    What's new in v1.1?
      • Minor bug fixed.
      • Added XP style manifest.
      What's new in v1.0?
        • App is born.
        Have fun!

Download

(VB6 runtimes required on Windows 9x/NT/2000)
        Also requires Microsoft Scripting.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:28 PM by scancode »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
        • Joined in 2009
          • View Profile
          • Donate to Member
        « Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 12:56 AM »
        Thanks.  I'll try it out. :)