topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Random frame thumbnail of movie files in explorer  (Read 4920 times)

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Random frame thumbnail of movie files in explorer
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Heya! I'm wondering: The thumbnails of movie files always have the first frame. I would like to get a random frame and be able to set them. Is that possible?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:38 PM by Coeluh »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Random frame thumbnail of movie files in explorer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Looks to me that your question results either in huge automatically generated (by Windows) thumbnail file for each movie (at least the size of the original movie) or enormous bite out of the available CPU resources every time you open a folder with these kind of files. And you should hope that those files are not cached else you have one movie (700Mb), one thumbnail file (700Mb) and a cached version (700Mb) on your system, which adds up quickly.

Although I like your idea, it seems a bit impractical (maintenance wise) to me.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Random frame thumbnail of movie files in explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Looks to me that your question results either in huge automatically generated (by Windows) thumbnail file for each movie (at least the size of the original movie) or enormous bite out of the available CPU resources every time you open a folder with these kind of files. And you should hope that those files are not cached else you have one movie (700Mb), one thumbnail file (700Mb) and a cached version (700Mb) on your system, which adds up quickly.

Although I like your idea, it seems a bit impractical (maintenance wise) to me.

Well I'm still looking for a nice way to browse my tv shows. XBMC or some other thing is way too sophisticated for this purpose.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Maybe using the search engine of choice, you can find and download photos of the movie, and get a coder to create a randomize app for the pics listed in a directory, that way you could a) make sure the chosen thumb is appropriate and b) something that you would still recognize as the movie file. Just a thought.  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:44 PM »
you can use a media player like KMPlayer in album art mode. KMPlayer takes random frame to display the album art, although only early part of the videos taken into consideration.

KMP_Album_Art.jpg