ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unpredictable Windows ... Can someone HELP !! (Slowly going mad)

<< < (5/6) > >>

mouser:
as tempting as it is to encourage adding content to the wiki, i think we might be better off focusing the wiki on areas of content where we can really deliver.  It seems to me that your info is extremely useful but belongs somewhere where such information has a context and other posts by others in same area, and donationcoder.com is probably not such a place.

it's not a settled issue of course, we're still trying to figure how to best use that wiki and figure out which content belongs in forum and which in wiki.  i kind of think that best use of the wiki might simply be for collaborative group software reviews, listing user sites and info, and maybe some how-to's on using the software from our site.

mouser:
had another thought... you know carol.. i have had an ongoing dcom error for YEARS... and was never able to find a cure despite long days searching..  i'm wondering if your fix is related.. going to give it a try soon.

Carol Haynes:
My thinking re. wiki was that if a KB starts to build of useful fixes and these pages are indexed in Google etc. it might draw more people into the main site proper. It was just a thought but I don't want to start cluttering things unnecessarily.

PS I have tracked down the extremely annoying beep problem too ...

Basically I had a problem unistalling Logitech webcam drivers/software and it has left some entries in the registry (as well as some files in the Windows\... folders). One of these loads a file from Windows\... at startup. If I disable that the beeping stops.

I thought I would try and fix the problem with new Logitech drivers. Having installed them the startup items have all changed to new files, but I still get the annoying beep. Again if I disable the Logitech startup ites in HKLM\...\Run the beeps stop.

I have emailed Logitech to see if I can find out what is required to do a complete manual unistall of the original driver set.

At least it is nothing more serious!

mouser:
my main worry with the wiki as it is now is that it's quite empty and people may get dissapointed when they go looking for content and find very little.. but maybe it's just a matter of time.

Cynic:
I formatted my PC this morning, using an nLited Windows XP SP3 disc (made using an original SP2 CD and a slipstreamed SP3 exe file, no other customisation was made).

After spending the best part of the day slowly (yay for multiple reboots!) reinstalling and reconfiguring everything, I hit the first problem: the right-click context menu would freeze explorer indefinitely, forcing a ctrl-alt-del to kill the process.
The event logs reported nothing, even though it happened every single time I right-clicked a folder/file.

I decided to do a system restore to the most recent automatic restore point and see if that problem would go away, and it did. I began reinstalling everything again but I noticed something was wrong: now the folders wouldn't remember the window positioning and view settings (even though I have it checked in folder options of explorer). Every time I restarted the computer, the quick launch bar would rearrange itself. Then somehow it got even worse, and now it starts disabled by default...

Meanwhile, I discovered what was causing the original context menu problem, I (rather stupidly) had told Eraser to enable background entropy polling.

Now I don't know what to do: I thought about reverting to my original restore point (with the context menu problems, easy to "fix" by configuring Eraser correctly), but since it appears that my first restore operation caused all this mess with explorer's settings, I'm afraid of making things even worse.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or would I be better off reformatting everything?
I'd really like to avoid that given that I've wasted so many hours already, but if that's the best solution so be it. If so, should I reuse my nLited disc, or install plain vanilla SP2 and use Windows Update to install SP3?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version