ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XP Password work around?

(1/5) > >>

Mizraim:
My sister-in-law has extremely long passwords, which is a good thing, however after a recent password change to log in to XP, she forgot her password and now wants to know if there is any known method, besides formatting, to either recover her password or get past it and enter a new password? I've scratched my head about this for a while, but am unable to come up with anything. Any ideas? :-\

PhilB66:
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor @ http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Shades:
You have boot CD's that help you erase the admin password and change it to something you like. I believe that software came also on floppy as well.

Besides that, when that system starts and it shows all available user accounts (fast login screen) hit CTRL+ALT+DEL a few times for showing the administrator account. Works like a charm. If she knows that password she can log in and change the password for her normal account. Saves a reformat. And if she doesn't, use the trick with the floppy or CD.

EDIT: Darn, PhilB beat me to it :tellme:

f0dder:
Just remember that if you've used NTFS encrypted files, iirc you lose access to those by resetting the password with one of the offline tools.

Mizraim:
Awesome! I'll have to try the above mentioned things and let you know my results. Thank you all for the fast reply! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version