topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Some nice C# tutorials by dc member kyrathaba  (Read 11859 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Some nice C# tutorials by dc member kyrathaba
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Some very nice, gentle C# tutorials by dc member kyrathaba:

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7558.0

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Some nice C# tutorials by dc member kyrathaba
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Hey, thanks for the recognition :)

Also, let me just put out there that I'm willing to take requests/suggestions for particular programming projects to be used as fodder for these tutorials.  In some cases, suggestions may be able to be implemented as I go along creating the main series.  In others, I may need to do a sort of ancillary series to flesh out a requested mini-series of tutorials.

I myself really like the ability to combine frame-by-frame stills with interspersed animation.  I haven't really had much impetus to add voice.  In the distant past one or two people suggested including audio along with these tutorials; but my concern has remained that this would dramatically inflate the size and loading times for the tutorials.  Thoughts?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29 AM »
i think your way is much more helpful.. as long as you are willing to go through the effort.  from my standpoint the real advantage of voice is you can just record a movie and narrate it as you go and get it done a lot quicker.  with your approach it has to take a lot longer for you to build the tutorial -- but i think it makes it easier to follow.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:31 PM »
You're right:  it does take more effort with Wink than with Camtasia.  The version of Wink I use, 2.0, includes the ability to add .WAV files to your SWF production.  So voice will be an option.

What would really be cool would be if I could import fragments of flash animation from Camtasia into Wink projects, but I don't think there's any way to do that.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Hey folks,

I've reformatted the online C# tutorials page of my little corner of DC, to increase readability. 

Also, I've added yet another C# tutorial.  This one is the fourth in the current series, and my thirteenth overall.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I've added the fifth tutorial in my current C# tutorial series.

Proximo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Proximo Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Kyrathaba,

I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.  I just started to learn C# and I am excited about your tutorials and any information that can help me.

I am a 3D Designer by profession and recently decided to learn programming.  A passion developed inside of me over the years and I am using this new passion to seriously learn C#.   I have 19+ years experience with 3D Computer Aided Design and this is the first time in 19 years that I developed a passion as strong as I have for 3D.

As a professional trainer/consultant in 3D Design.  I will say this about video tutorials.  It's the most natural method of learning because a video will allow you to actually see in real time how to do something while having the benefit of listening to the explanation by voice.  Many times you may have some tricks, tips or suggestions that can be more naturally explained and covered in the course of a video than it would be to write it out in text.  In a video, you can also go through the examples of these tricks to clearly show what you mean.

Having a video is like sitting behind you and watching you do your thing while I sit there and learn.  If I miss something, I can simply rewind a little and listen to it again and again.  From my experience, Video's are the best method of training someone and keep it interesting.  You may say a joke or two during a video that you may not think about when you are writing it out for example.

Now if you do have the resources to use the video method,  I think it would be the most effective way to teach others.  Not to say that your current method is not successful, because it surely is.

Lynda.com has gained a lot of popularity because of the video training method vs. the traditional method.  In a world where bandwidth is getting faster and people get used to the new innovative ways of interaction.  Video's are the future.   This is why so many major colleges are filming their lectures and sharing them freely on the web.  YouTube EDU is an example or Academic Earth.

In any case.  We all appreciate you sharing and we will be happy with any method you are able to provide.   

Thanks.
"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't realize they can fly like Superman."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:47 AM by Proximo »

Proximo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Proximo Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Kyrathaba,

I did forget to mention this to you.   You are a great teacher. 

The fact that you use analogies that are easy to follow and understand says a lot about a teacher.  Many people have skills in one area or the other, but this does not mean they can teach.

Teaching is not just knowing the material but having the ability to explain it in a way a new person can understand and learn from.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.   I really enjoy your tutorials.
"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't realize they can fly like Superman."

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Wanted to say thanks for these useful c# tutorials :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I'm bumping this thread in order to let you know that on My Little Corner of DC, I have updated my C# Tutorials page with corrections and generally some info to bring 6-7 year-old tutorial videos into context, given the time that has elapsed. At the bottom of the main tutorials page, I talk about plans for my next teaching effort.