topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Paragon Drive Backup 9 Special Edition For Free!  (Read 35271 times)

FreebyFan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paragon Drive Backup 9 Special Edition For Free!
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Can't believe I've got this for free!
My all time fav backup software. I strongly recommend it to anyone.

http://for-free-on-internet.com/2009/03/paragon-drive-backup-9-special-edition-free-promo/

The guys from For-Free-On-Internet.com are talking about an impending blocking for the promo.
Grabb it while still there guys!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Drive Backup 9 Special Edition For Free!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Right now the deal is still available, just received some generated credentials for registering from Paragon, and I'm currently (still  :() downloading.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Yep - it was supposed to end on 1st March so if you want a copy grab it quick while you can.

I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Anyone know what the difference is between this version and the commercial version?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:55 AM »
Still works as of 6-Mar-2009!

App download is slooooow...but I got the e-mail with the license key in under 5 minutes.

:Thmbsup:

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Does this version support incremental or differential backup ?  And the recovery Cd is still linux based or WinPE ?

Thx
.merle1.

kanecitizen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paragon Partition Manager 9 Special Edition - FREE!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:48 PM »
I have downloaded and installed it . The promotion works.

http://for-free-on-internet.com/2009/03/paragon-partition-manager-9-special-edition/

Kane ... A Citizen

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Partition Manager 9 Special Edition - FREE!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51 AM »
free promo for a special Paragon product EXPIRED  ON Dec 3, 2008.

- only valid if I was accepted back in December?  :tellme:

From WHERE did you get the installer? Computeractive gives me nothing!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:02 PM by Curt »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:22 PM »
For registration:
http://www.paragon-software.com/registration/pm90se.html

For the software:
http://www.vnudownloads.co.uk/partitionManager9special-20080328-1337-en.exe

A few days ago I was still able to get it, now a continuous time-out message appears. If you want I can send the installation file (FTP) or chopped into pieces with winrar and mail them. It's near 100 Mbyte I believe.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18 PM »
You can get the Express version from the main web site.  I don't know how many features are cut out but I think the main one is it won't delete a partition. But you can always use Cute or another partition program to delete to get free space, then use the Paragon to do whatever.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 08:01 PM »
You can delete partitions (except the system partition) in Windows XP and Vista using the Disk Management tool in the Management console (or Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc )

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 03:39 AM »
I finally got it from the vnudownloads link.

Thank you, Shades, and Thank You, Kane!  :up:

33.58 MB, average download speed 34.64 KB/sec

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Thanks for the Links Shades, and Kane  :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:36 PM »
A word to the wise...and a big warning for everybody else!!!!!!!

After I installed the software, everything looked fine and dandy. Before I wanted to use the software I thought to do a defrag on the partition. Now imagine my surprise that the partition was not there at all. Even worse, two partitions were lost.

The Windows XP drive management software saw free space in the area were those two partitions were allocated. Now some cruel irony enters my mind: "Installing software to safeguard your data...results in losing your data". So, the netto result from installing the software is that only four of my six partitions were available to me anymore.

Before panic starts kicking in, the uninstall functionality was used and after a restart from my computer both my partitions were available to me again.
My setup is not extreme (I think), on that harddisk is only one primary partition (windows only) and 5 logical partitions (program files, work data, temp, private data and virtual machine). Private data and my virtual machine partition were not available.

I don't know what mojo Paragon uses but I have used other tools (freeware) that didn't have this problem, so the blame is theirs. Of course, for the casual user this 4 partition limit will not pose any problem, but I am glad (ecstatic to be more precise)  to get rid of it.

Thank, but no thanks.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Generally I find with the Paragon stuff the Express editions are the freebie to go with. With the proviso that you look over the features comparison on their site.  At least on the imaging backup it's equivalent to the Personal edition without a few features like folder exclusion.

Too many of these other freebie releases I think are for sticking in computer magazines.  Best to get the "permanent" freebie that's on their web site, if it has what you need to do the job.

I notice the Express edition on this one only supports XP and Vista 32 bit whereas you can get a 64 bit version of the Drive Backup Express.

Reading the fine print can be a pita. :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 04:27 AM »
I don't know what mojo Paragon uses but I have used other tools (freeware) that didn't have this problem, so the blame is theirs. Of course, for the casual user this 4 partition limit will not pose any problem, but I am glad (ecstatic to be more precise)  to get rid of it.

That's strange - if they are limiting to 4 partitions (including logical partitions) how do they justify that given that drives are now enormous and many people take advantage of multiple partition drives?

Alternatively the 4 partition limit is actually a function of the partition table structure - which is why Extended partitions and logical partitions were introduced (effectively stuffing a bunch of 'virtual' partitions inside a single 'real' partition.

Were the missing partitions logical partitions or primary?

Have you contacted Paragon to ask if this is intentional - if it is a bug they need to get it fixed and fast.

Having said that I find Acronis DiskDirector is also a bit hit and miss when you use it from the Linux boot disc - I have had a number of occasions where it says the drive structure is correct but windows has failed to recognise a partition or Partition Table Doctor reports that the number of blocks on a partition is inconsistent. I haven't noticed the version that runs from within Windows having this problems and am beginjning to wonder if it is a problem with the version of Linux they use with their rescue disk. Again it is ironic that a Disk management tool can screw things up!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Yep - it was supposed to end on 1st March so if you want a copy grab it quick while you can.

I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Anyone know what the difference is between this version and the commercial version?
-Carol Haynes (March 05, 2009, 07:37 PM)

Basically Paragon Drive Backup Express should be available for download from the Paragon site anytime.  They accept a hotmail address for sending the reg info.  There is even a 64 bit edition if you have Vista64. It's Paragon Drive Backup Personal 9.0 without some of the features.  No folder exclusion, no file only backup etc..   For an image backup of your entire system it's fine.  If you have an external drive you can get smaller backups by copying off big files(like if you have dvd .iso images or big .avi files etc.) to your external, delete them.. then do the backup.

The boot CD afaik is the same as Personal that is Linux based and has USB support.  If your system is hosed, boot the CD and restore from the external USB drive.

I've been using Paragon Drive Backup Personal since v. 8.5 and I've restored with it a few times.  The restore does work. I put Windows 7 beta on and when I got bored with it I just laid the Paragon image back on and my system was the same as when I did the backup.

If they had these Express editions out when I bought 8.5 I probably would have just downloaded the Express.  But if you do a lot of video it's convenient to just exclude folders with huge files to make the backup set smaller without the copy off work-around.

For $40 I ain't complainin' :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Hey, going through this thread I notice that a lot of posts are missing, including one of my own about a seriously bad side effect after installing this software. Which would be the loss of two from my six partitions.

Did Cody eat some of the posts as a midnight snack or something?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Hey, going through this thread I notice that a lot of posts are missing, including one of my own about a seriously bad side effect after installing this software. Which would be the loss of two from my six partitions.

Did Cody eat some of the posts as a midnight snack or something?

Oh Shades...

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=17339.0

Maybe ask a mod to merge the two?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Yep, a merge would be nice...less confusing for me :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35 AM »
I think there's some confusion here because it looks like Shades partition was deleted by Paragon Partition Manager but the thread turns into a discussion of Paragon Drive Backup, which is an image backup program.  I have experience with Drive Backup but none with the Paragon Partition Manager.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Sorry should have commented - merge done earlier today.  :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Sorry should have commented - merge done earlier today.  :-*
-Carol Haynes (March 12, 2009, 12:40 PM)

Looks like the free backup finally died.  I believe you can still get the Paragon Drive Backup Express edition.  I tried several paragon offers that were past date and it looks like the form that you fill in your email to get the reg codes is automated and still sends the codes.  But when you log in, the download has no link.  Guess somebody decided to put the whammy on past-due freebies.  :down:

BinderDundat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22 PM »
There is a new offer to beta test Paragon System Backup 9 with the following benefits offered:

What are the benefits for me?

•       The best report holders will receive FREE registration of Paragon Drive Backup 9 Professional, which includes most Paragon backup and recovery features, also beta testers receive the upgrade assurance to our 10th version soon to be released.                                                 
•       Every beta tester will receive 50% discount on Paragon Software products (e-shop)
•       A great opportunity to be involved in discussions with Paragon Product Managers
•       Our great thankfulness!

The one thing that prevents me from doing this is that they want you to have one partition (FAT or NTFS) on your hard drive.  I wonder how many people who are knowledgeable enough to beta test a drive backup program would have only one partition?  Forgot to post the link: Paragon
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:23 PM by BinderDundat »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 03:27 PM »
Yeah, from what I can gather they are shooting for an automated backup strategy.  I guess they expect people to kill off their restore partition since they will have backup images.  I wonder how many joe 6pack "I just want to use my PC not administer it" types will be willing to do that.. or maybe the wizard will do it for them.  Start the backup for the first time and a dialog pops up and says "Now your restore partition will be automatically hosed : ok with you? and Yes No Maybe buttons... and no matter which button you press, the partition is deleted!!  :)

edit: btw I have a feeling they want that simple setup because the Backup Capsule partition scheme they used will probably be automated.  A Wizard will just do it rather than depending on the user to manually click all the buttons to create a backup capsule.  Unless they leave all the manual controls it may be getting to the point where I won't want to upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:34 PM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Just a tiny and maybe useless info:

Paragon may have their "Offerer Identification"-office in Irvine, California, but:

§ 7    Further Terms:

2. This agreement is governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Germany.

3. Concerning contracts with merchants, commercial companies, public legal entities and legal separate estates under public law, as well as in those cases where the customer, who is not a consumer, does not have his/it's general jurisdiction within Germany, the court located in Müllheim, Germany shall have jurisdiction to hear the disputes arising under this agreement.
-Terms and Conditions of the Beta Test Agreement

---

On another matter:
Do 'we' know for how long this beta offer has been active? Before joining I would of course like to get an idea about how dangerous it may be to test it.
 :tellme: