ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Paragon Drive Backup 9 Special Edition For Free!

<< < (3/9) > >>

Curt:
I finally got it from the vnudownloads link.

Thank you, Shades, and Thank You, Kane!  :up:

33.58 MB, average download speed 34.64 KB/sec

mahesh2k:
Thanks for the Links Shades, and Kane  :)

Shades:
A word to the wise...and a big warning for everybody else!!!!!!!

After I installed the software, everything looked fine and dandy. Before I wanted to use the software I thought to do a defrag on the partition. Now imagine my surprise that the partition was not there at all. Even worse, two partitions were lost.

The Windows XP drive management software saw free space in the area were those two partitions were allocated. Now some cruel irony enters my mind: "Installing software to safeguard your data...results in losing your data". So, the netto result from installing the software is that only four of my six partitions were available to me anymore.

Before panic starts kicking in, the uninstall functionality was used and after a restart from my computer both my partitions were available to me again.
My setup is not extreme (I think), on that harddisk is only one primary partition (windows only) and 5 logical partitions (program files, work data, temp, private data and virtual machine). Private data and my virtual machine partition were not available.

I don't know what mojo Paragon uses but I have used other tools (freeware) that didn't have this problem, so the blame is theirs. Of course, for the casual user this 4 partition limit will not pose any problem, but I am glad (ecstatic to be more precise)  to get rid of it.

Thank, but no thanks.

MilesAhead:
Generally I find with the Paragon stuff the Express editions are the freebie to go with. With the proviso that you look over the features comparison on their site.  At least on the imaging backup it's equivalent to the Personal edition without a few features like folder exclusion.

Too many of these other freebie releases I think are for sticking in computer magazines.  Best to get the "permanent" freebie that's on their web site, if it has what you need to do the job.

I notice the Express edition on this one only supports XP and Vista 32 bit whereas you can get a 64 bit version of the Drive Backup Express.

Reading the fine print can be a pita. :)

Carol Haynes:
I don't know what mojo Paragon uses but I have used other tools (freeware) that didn't have this problem, so the blame is theirs. Of course, for the casual user this 4 partition limit will not pose any problem, but I am glad (ecstatic to be more precise)  to get rid of it.
-Shades (March 09, 2009, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's strange - if they are limiting to 4 partitions (including logical partitions) how do they justify that given that drives are now enormous and many people take advantage of multiple partition drives?

Alternatively the 4 partition limit is actually a function of the partition table structure - which is why Extended partitions and logical partitions were introduced (effectively stuffing a bunch of 'virtual' partitions inside a single 'real' partition.

Were the missing partitions logical partitions or primary?

Have you contacted Paragon to ask if this is intentional - if it is a bug they need to get it fixed and fast.

Having said that I find Acronis DiskDirector is also a bit hit and miss when you use it from the Linux boot disc - I have had a number of occasions where it says the drive structure is correct but windows has failed to recognise a partition or Partition Table Doctor reports that the number of blocks on a partition is inconsistent. I haven't noticed the version that runs from within Windows having this problems and am beginjning to wonder if it is a problem with the version of Linux they use with their rescue disk. Again it is ironic that a Disk management tool can screw things up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version