topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: why is complicated obtain a free license.  (Read 3642 times)

einst

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
why is complicated obtain a free license.
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Dear Friends:
Because they give so many returns to grant a license free.
I believe that this makes bad to the publicity of software.
This causes that one thinks about not using it to software.
I hope that they review this subject.
and the software is good.

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: why is complicated obtain a free license.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 08:48 PM »
although i don't understand 100% what you are saying, i will try to respond.

first, you can download a license here-> https://www.donation...r.com/Keys/index.php

We know it is annoying to have to sign up at our forum to download a license to use the "freeware" on this site.

We have discussed ways on this site to keep the software free for everyone but still encourage people who can afford to donate to do so.  It is a hard challenge to balance keeping software free but still giving people a reason to donate.  In this current world, almost no one will donate without some encouragement.  So we have tried to find ways to offer some benefits of donating but still make sure that everyone who cannot afford to donate can still use our software forever and without nag screens or limits.

That is all we are trying to do.   Maybe we are going to far and it is too annoying?  I'm not sure, it's a hard question to answer.  We know that some people will just be angry and will refuse to use the programs.  Maybe one day we can get to a place in the world where all software is donation based and no one has to beg for money and people will just donate on their own to support stuff they like.  Until then we are trying to find a good healthy balance.  If we could afford to buy food and pay rent we would not ask for any money.  We would prefer not to have to ask for any money at all. We are only doing this to be able to make enough to pay for a small fraction of the time we spend working on the site and programming.

More discussion about this idea when we were first thinking about it here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=770.0