topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Command line tools for after-capture processing  (Read 9294 times)

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Command line tools for after-capture processing
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:46 AM »
First of all, let me thank you for Screenshot Captor, I love it!

For my blog I take lots of screenshots, and to improve my workflow I want to send a captured image to the command line to automatically

a) create a thumbnail from the captured image
b) upload both the captured image and the thumbnail via sftp to my web space

Can this be done using Screenshot Captor?
Can anyone help me finding these 2 command line tools? There must be a lot of tiny open source floating around doing exactly that, no?

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Command line tools for after-capture processing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:53 AM »
*great* questions -- we really need to do more sharing of such commandline tools.

Screenshot Captor designed from day 1 to let you configure such commandline tools and call them easily, but people have been slow to share tips about commandline utilities, and i hope we can change that.  maybe i can make it easier to share such configurations.

Some discussions about ftp upload from SC: https://www.donation...n=search2;search=ftp

I'd love if you did not give up on this idea and shared with us your final solution.

SC actually has a built in thumbnailing funciton which i think works well.. but you want to make a thumbnail and upload both in one step, and for that a commandline external tools seems like the way to go.

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Exactly, as it is now I have to manually create the thumbnail.

Btw, there is a tiny bug with the thumbnail creation. Even though the "Switch to Thumbnail after Creation" checkbox is unchecked, the thumbnail rather than the (still selected) original is displayed in the main window.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57 AM »
thanks i will look into that bug, i must admit i always used it with that checkbox checked.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:02 PM »
I want to say I'd be willing to add any features that could help people to more easily interface with (or share configurations for interfacing with) commandline tools.

Oh and another thing that people sometimes overlook is that you can right click on image files in the thumbnail view and access any normal file context menu tools you have installed on your computer -- so any general purpose uploader tools or image processing tools that install context menu extensions will work fine.

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Ok, I'll let you know when I have found what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the good work!

Stefan

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:17 AM »
How does SC pass the path/filename of the captured image to an external executable?

Can you give me an example for a simple *.bat file that prints the filename of the image in the command line? I will need it to pass it on to a command line tool.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:22 AM »
See the help file on Advanced Usage->"Using 3rd Party Tools" for more info on configuring multiple tools with SC, that you can trigger from the Tools menu.  It actually has a little tutorial there.  Try getting it to work with an image editor before you try a .bat file.

Screenshot - 3_5_2009 , 4_21_34 AM.pngCommand line tools for after-capture processing

BUT.. I'm trying to remember though if the "External Editor" which is configured a bit differently and in a different options tab, supports these commandline parameters.  I'll have to check on that and update it if not (If it doesn't, then its just going to be passing the image filename as the first paramter).

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Everyone out there looking for free command line utilities.

Automatically create thumbnails from the captured screenshot: Easy Thumbnails. The command line options are displayed in the help.
The tool I use for uploading the screenshot plus the thumbnail is Rightload. Here are the Command line options.

Both tools support command line and right-click action and are very easy to setup and use.

nafs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I hope you don't mind if I bring the PM discussion to the thread?

regarding your commandline launching posts.. what do you think about me adding a memo in the options where user can specify some commandline programs to execute post capture -- that would make it easier to run a few commands after capturing, which were independent of the configured graphic image editor, etc.
-mouser

Why not enable all the filter options in the memo box? Like %customdate% etc. This would make creating the parameters for command line utilities much more flexible.

For instance, I am saving my screenshots in daily subfolders, named like this: "2009-03-08" etc. I create this directory manually every day*, go into this directory within SC and it will automatically save the captured screenshots there, very intuitive.

Because of this directory structure I need some way to pass this directory name to the ftp command line utility, so that it will save the screenshot in the same subdirectory on the server (Rightload will create the directory if it doesn't exist already).

Cheers,
Stefan

*Any idea how to create a daily subfolder within the screenshot folder automatically?