ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Dc Member Blog Idea - Feedback Requested

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
I had an idea.. I'd like to set up a blog where some dc members can take turns posting.

We used to have daily columns here on dc in the old days -- basically a blog where 5 people would write some blog essay each on their different assigned weekday.  it was a bit hard to keep it active and we eventually stopped.

But i think we should try to do it again, but a little less regimented and more flexible, and more of a group thing.

So here is the idea:

* The blog would be set up at http://blog.dcmembers.com , it will use Wordpress
* DC members who have web space on the dc member server, or forum members who think they have something to contribute will be given a posting account
* The goal will be to have a consistent regular flow of new content -- one post a day at least.
* But who posts when and on what material will be left totally up those of you who participate
* Dc forum members who feel like they would like to participate just contact me
* We will link to it from the donationcoder.com blog and web pages so hopefully it will get some readership
The idea will be to have an interesting blog tht is updated daily -- the workload being shared by all the different writers.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Volunteers?

justice:
Maybe add it into the existing best of blog as 'guest writer' feature?

mouser:
That's an interesting idea.

justice:
Reasoning behind my comment is really considering the long term whether there will be enough activity /ownership on a seperate blog that is shared as opposed to being part of the 'official dc blog' or individual blogs aggregated into one 'donation coder blog stream'?

Just a thought - dunno maybe i'm off the mark.

I do like the blog format.

mouser:
Merging it with main site blog, pros and cons:

Pros:

* By combining content the result is a more active blog
* We could probably use some additional editorial content in main blog
* One less site for people to have to remember to visit
Cons:

* The current dc blog is homemade (not wordpress,etc.) and is set up for a specific funcitonality -- promoting forum posts to blogs; it would not be easy to combine the two.
* Too much content too quickly? the Dc blog typically has multiple posts per day, would it drown out member blogging?
* Worries about content? DC blog is the official blog of the site so i have some concern over what goes up there -- wheras the member blog should be for whatever the members decide they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version