ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Greatest Graphic Novel of All Time: Watchmen

<< < (3/13) > >>

housetier:
I like most of the comics by Enki Bilal. Also, the ones by Moebius are literally fantastic.

But my all-time favorite has been Blame! by Tsutomu Nihei.

I would consider all these adult material, for the brutality (Bilal), drug use (Moebius), and violence (Tsutomu Nihei). Very good stuff!!  :Thmbsup:

mahesh2k:
Some more Animation World:

- D-Grey Man
- Hige Jigoku Shuojo (Hell Girl)
- Hellsing
- Pet Shop of Horrors
- Kaiji
- Darker than Black
- Trinity Blood

urlwolf:
I liked "Preacher".
I was unimpressed by Watchmen, and prefer the Dark night (that choice between the two is kind of a test between comic readers).

Modern stuff, I liked Daredevil in the run that Malev had.

40hz:
I didn't like sandman.. I would say this is miles above.
-mouser (March 03, 2009, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

No surprise there. Sandman is another one of those "test" graphic novels. You like it, or you don't.

Gaiman and Vertigo wanted to do something that broke new ground with Sandman. Considering how most people who go in for traditional comic/superhero universes don't like it, I'd say they succeeded.

What I find interesting is that a remarkably large number of women do like Sandman.

Go figure.

superboyac:
I had the same exact experience as mouser.  I occasionally read the occasional comic book as a child, was never too into them.  Superman, Batman, etc.  When Kingdom Come came out, I was mesmerized.  Comic books tend to have stupid stories normally (they're for kids, right?) but Kingdom Come was a good, adult story with that painted art, which was cool and different.  Then I got back into graphic novels for a while.  Then, the stories started getting really ridiculous and unnecessarily complex like Universe X, PAradise X, all that stuff.  But I still enjoy them once in a while.  I love the art and the stories are good enough.  Some of the more interesting ones that I can remember:
--Kingdom Come
--Marvels (similar to Kingdom Come)
--Paradise X, Earth X, Universe X
--Batman:  The Long Halloween, Dark Victory (one of my favorites of all time)
--Dark Night
--Wolverine Beginnings (or something like that)
--Any of the Ultimate stuff is kind of cool

Of course, Watchmen was one of the best I've read also.  They actually used it in literary courses at Berkeley.

The thing that gets to me about comic books is that they try to explain all the fantastic stuff that is happening, and it ends up becoming just a little too much.  THings like parallel universes, gods, superheros, genetic stuff...it can all go crazy quickly.  Usually, I like an easy to understand story with some good action and good art.  Not to kiddie, but not too geeky or quirky either.  I view comic books like action movies...I want a nice, rated R story, but I want to have some fun, not think too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version