ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you know if an lcd is dieing?

(1/3) > >>

nite_monkey:
Recently my secondary display (acer AL1916) has started messing up. If I leave it turned off, or in standby mode for longer than like 10 or 15 minutes than try to turn it on, it wont for a while. All that happens is the light blinks for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then the monitor turns on and displays what is on the screen. The monitor is new to me, but not brand new. It used to be in the kitchen (for almost a year I think, I'm not sure.) This is only my second LCD display (my first being my primary display, which still works perfectly), so I don't know what an lcd monitor does when it is going out. Am I fixing to loose my second monitor for a while until I can get a new one?

Shades:
Seems that the power management from your monitor is on the fritz. After it is showing the expected signal, does it remain functioning ok?

mouser:
If I leave it turned off, or in standby mode for longer than like 10 or 15 minutes than try to turn it on, it wont for a while. All that happens is the light blinks for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then the monitor turns on and displays what is on the screen...
Am I fixing to loose my second monitor ?
--- End quote ---

if you're experience is anything like mine, then *yes*.

i had exactly these symptoms on two samsung lcds.. eventually they progressed to worse stages, where they would never get very bright, and then eventually stopped turning on completely.

nite_monkey:
Seems that the power management from your monitor is on the fritz. After it is showing the expected signal, does it remain functioning ok?
-Shades (March 03, 2009, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, after it finally manages to turn on, it works fine.
If I leave it turned off, or in standby mode for longer than like 10 or 15 minutes than try to turn it on, it wont for a while. All that happens is the light blinks for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then the monitor turns on and displays what is on the screen...
Am I fixing to loose my second monitor ?
--- End quote ---

if you're experience is anything like mine, then *yes*.

i had exactly these symptoms on two samsung lcds.. eventually they progressed to worse stages, where they would never get very bright, and then eventually stopped turning on completely.
-mouser (March 03, 2009, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
well crap, mine is still at the beginning stage, I don't want to have to get a new one... I just got this one because my crt died on me.

mouser:
here's another piece of data for you:  mine got so bad that i turned off all standby and screensaver functions so the monitor would never go dark.  that seemed to work for a while until a reboot, afterwhich one of the monitors never work up.

be prepared -- that monitor of yours *is* going to stop working pretty soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version