topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Linux] Illustration and 2D animation Software  (Read 5674 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Linux] Illustration and 2D animation Software
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I know Pencil and synfig which are used for the illustration and 2D animation. Is there any other software which is much better on learning curve than these two ? I'm in search of both illustration and 2d animation software. I don't mind using if there is any commercial software that works on linux.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Linux] Illustration and 2D animation Software
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Illustration:
I've no idea, since I mainly stick to the KDE buffet of apps. Here's a list of alternatives you likely already know about:
http://alternativeto...ator/?platform=linux

I've used Krita before but only for a couple of small projects, but Xara gets lots of love from everyone who tries it:
http://comprolive.co...rials/graphics/krita

Animation:
http://www.junauza.c...ce-2d-animation.html (ktoon is different)

Luciole is another option, but it's likely too simplistic for your needs.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:02 PM »

I've used Krita before but only for a couple of small projects, but Xara gets lots of love from everyone who tries it:
http://comprolive.co...rials/graphics/krita

For 2D illustration I like Xara Xtreme for Linux. Link here.

Very similar to Xara's other illustration packages although it lags far behind their current offerings like Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 and Xara Designer Pro 6.

XaraNix.jpg[Linux] Illustration and 2D animation Software

I happen to like the way Xara works, although not everybody does.

For animation, I don't know of any package that's particularly easy to use or come up to speed on.

I've logged a fair bit of time on SmithMicro's Anime Studio. (Long enough to know doing animation is not easy.) However, from what I've seen of other animation packages, this one might be as easy as it's ever gonna get.

They have a "debut" edition available for $49 (Win/Mac only) that has more than enough tools to get you started producing creditable projects. The Pro edition is the same thing on steroids, but it goes for $199 list.

They offer a "free trial" of the Debut Edition. But there's a gotcha.

They require you to place an order using a credit card, but then give you the option to cancel it within 30 days and not be charged.  :tellme:

Kind of a sucky way to do business, but that's how they choose to operate.

I guess it does cut down on the number of tire kickers - and also positively IDs you with your trial copy. I'm guessing they do that just in case your trial copy ever gets cracked and starts showing up on the torrents.

Wish I had a suggestion for a similar product on the Linux platform.  :-\

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:12 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14 PM »
For illustration, Inkscape and Gimp do very well in my book, I've seen some AMAZING things done with them; but I'm also not a professional trying to make a living, so caveat emptor.

For 2D animation, I'm afraid Synfig, Ktoon or Pencil is all you've got for now.
Search around on YouTube for Synfig-created animations for an idea of what it can do.
I agree it's got quite the learning curve, but otherwise it's quite capable.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  :up:  After searching on amazon and some other sites, i found toonboom and anime studio(as pointed by 40hz) interesting for 2d animation. These two programs are for pc and mac(so i guess i have to run them through crossover or virtual machine ?)

I'll be checking on other tools as well (posted in this thread). If you get any option, do post about it.

@Edward, synfig is cool, found one manga project -morevana or something like that. Only issue is it's really hard to use that stuff, even pencil looks fine to me.

AnthonyLewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:15 AM »
Can u provide some details regarding 2D Animation and needed link for downloading Software?