ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to convert VOB files to compatible, compact format

(1/2) > >>

longrun:
For a family project I dubbed some Super-8 film to VHS, then copied via HDD/DVD recorder to DVD, and finally converted to .mpg thinking it was a universal format. When my Mac relatives couldn't play the files I discovered that MPEG-2 isn't automatically usable by Mac. I converted the .mpg's to .avi and mp4 but the file size nearly tripled. What format is universal and relatively compact, and any recommendations on freeware? I used VLC for the mp4 conversion.

Normally I research things in depth but I'm pressed for time and don't really care about video aside from this one-time project.

Thanks all.

Veign:
Here's some info on converting from DVD to VCD (mpeg layer 1):
http://www.veign.com/blog/2008/11/howto-convert-dvd-video-to-vcd-mpeg1.html

CWuestefeld:
Done with the proper values, a video in the mp4 formats (e.g. DivX) ought to be quite a bit smaller than .mpg. There are a number of programs that will give you reasonable parameters for various purposes. For this particular problem I'd recommend that you look at HandBrake.

(For more general usage I recommend SUPER(c), despite its oddball user interface and annoying download process)

longrun:
Done with the proper values, a video in the mp4 formats (e.g. DivX) ought to be quite a bit smaller than .mpg.
-CWuestefeld (March 01, 2009, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Will DivX play automatically on Win/Mac w/o codec downloads or whatever? My relatives barely know how to turn on their computers. I've read about HandBrake and SUPER but wanted feedback on formats before proceeding further.

lanux128:
is it me or is there really spam on longrun's sig? :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version