topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Quake Live  (Read 11648 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quake Live
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:44 AM »
Frankly I'm utterly astounded no one has mentioned this here yet, but I daresay most of you who read the Gamer Club forum regularly are already aware of it. Anyway, for those of you who aren't, ID Software have recently released their Quake Live game into public beta. Quake Live is basically full-blown quake...in your browser. It is fully multiplayer, and can also be played in a "practice" mode against the AI called Crush.

When you first sign up you'll have to install software from ID on your machine. Specifically, a somewhat bothersome Punk Buster service (I can't use Quake Live any more becuase Punk Buster is broken on my machine for some reason, it worked for a few days though). Once you restart your browser you'll have to wait for a half dozen files to downloaded into the browser before you can begin (another 40-odd will download over time, but only the first five are necessary to continue to the next step). Once the initial download is complete, your skill is graded based on your performance in a 1v1 first-to-15 match with Crush. Once that's over, you can begin taking on other players in the matches.

My personal experience with the game was reasonably positive. There were a number of crashes here and there (fewer and fewer toward the public beta release), and most notably the Punk Buster failure, but the game itself was absolutely excellent. Unfortunately, those of us living outside of the United States will have to tolerate higher ping times (on 9mb cable here in .au I was at around 230ms) but I managed to top my team a couple of times, so we can't be that disadvantaged.

Anyway, give it a try guys and let us know how you go :)

Ehtyar.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:29 AM by Ehtyar »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Quake Live
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:03 AM »
Link?

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Crap, sorry. But just for you Deo, try this :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:29 AM »
I played it in closed beta, it was pretty fun. But somehow I always got paired up with pros. So I usually got my ass kicked mercilessly
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:46 AM »
I tried to play it but I was always like 26,000th in the queue :p

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:27 AM »
Yeah that's going to be the problem is wait time.  Folks who FPS game hate to wait, they want to jump in and start fragging.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I tried to play it but I was always like 26,000th in the queue :p

Just signed up for it and I'm 2,500 in the queue. Seems to be going down 100+ per minute. Still, that's about a 15-20 minute wait. . .

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Well, that's really dumb. You have to wait in a queue before they'll even allow you to download the software to get it running. They claim there's an update required for my QuakeLive software, but you can't update what you haven't installed! :down:

EDIT: Finally gave it a play. I only did the placement match. Seems okay, but something kept causing my mouse to lose focus from the game so I'd be completely unable to control myself until I clicked on the window again, which wasn't good because that would often make me fire my rocket launcher at the wall I happened to be facing when I lost control.

Also, playing 3D games in the browser isn't that new of a thing. Instant Action has been doing that for over a year now, and most of their games have much higher quality graphics than Quake Live.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:51 PM by Deozaan »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Also, playing 3D games in the browser isn't that new of a thing. Instant Action has been doing that for over a year now, and most of their games have much higher quality graphics than Quake Live.

Quake Live is mostly the in-browser version of the original Quake III: Arena (it uses the same engine), so no wonder the graphics look a bit dated. They probably did that to ensure the game would run in as many computers as possible, and if they're planning to release Linux and (specially) Mac OS X versions, they need to set the bar a bit low to ensure it runs fairly well everywhere. The fact that it runs inside the browser will involve some additional work for the system, but probably not that much.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:34 PM by Lashiec »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Quake in browser? Sounds pointless and retarded to me.
- carpe noctem

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Indeed, why not make a downloadable Q3 lite w/ added leaderboards and crap
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser