ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anal Program Monitor/Firewall

(1/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
Hi all.

For a few years now I've been using a discontinued Firewall called Tiny Firewall. Yes yes, I know, using an unsupported non-updated security program bla-bla-bla. Let's just say it served me very well for the past few years.

My problem now becomes the inevitable shift to Vista/Windows 7, and clearly Tiny Firewall won't be able to follow me. What I really liked about Tiny Firewall was that it was extremely anal. It would prompt for use of a potentially dangerous API, access to an important folder/file, access to an important registry key, access to specific internet ports (though you could manually specify port range/individual port/all port access), installation of drivers and BHOs etc, system privileges. It would allow you to permit these actions once, or permit them always.

I'd really like a product with similar capabilities that I can use on Windows 7 and Vista. If anyone has anything they could suggest that might suit me needs I'd really appreciate a reply below. Unfortunately, UAC just doesn't cut it.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
Comodo ( www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/firewall.html ) makes one of the 'tightest' free firewall products I've ever used. Set the defense level option to "Paranoid" and you will be notified (in merciless detail) of everything. It does, however, 'train' well and quickly, so once you get past the initial spate of notifications, it settles down quite nicely.

Detailed documentation (211 pages worth!!! :read:) for the current release is available at the following link if you like to read manuals:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/Comodo_Internet_Security_User_Guide.pdf

Based on personal experience, the manual is worth a selective read if you really want to understand and effectively use this product. Give it a quick skim if nothing else.

The Windows 7 version is still in development, but will be available well in time for Microsoft's official launch.

8)

f0dder:
Built-in Windows Firewall and nothing else :-*

(famous last words).

mwb1100:
For a few years now I've been using a discontinued Firewall called Tiny Firewall. ... Let's just say it served me very well for the past few years.
-Ehtyar (March 01, 2009, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you like Tiny Firewall you might like it's more or less direct descendant. Tiny firewall became Kerio Personal Firewall which in turn became Sunbelt Personal Firewall.  The version you download acts as a trial of the paid version for one month - if you don't register it it reverts to a free version with some of the 'pro' features disabled.

I don't use it so this is not an endorsement - it's just that it seems reasonable that you might find it similar enough to like it (note that it supports Vista, but only the 32-bit version).

cranioscopical:
Tiny firewall became Kerio Personal Firewall which in turn became Sunbelt Personal Firewall.
-mwb1100 (March 01, 2009, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, I use this on my wife's machine.
It's enough to drive one demented at the outset but it, together with 'Drop My Rights, and 'NoScript', had the desired effect of saving me hours a week of trouble-shooting her machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version