ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why Windows must go open source

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
40hz: I'd say it's working just fine if he can live in his own little fantasy world? ;)
-f0dder (February 26, 2009, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if we have anything to say about it.  ;D And we do!  :Thmbsup:

icekin:
I'd be happy even to an older version such as Win 98 go Open Source. Not going to happen unless some legal requirement comes into place encouraging or enforcing that all software be open. Meanwhile, there's ReactOS.

electronixtar:
Windows is partly open source.

Open source will not save Windows, POSIX compatibility will.

f0dder:
Windows isn't partly open source, and if you want POSIX you have Windows Services for Unix...

40hz:
Open source will not save Windows, POSIX compatibility will.
-electronixtar (March 06, 2009, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it's that much an issue considering something like under 20 OSs are fully POSIX compliant. 

Windows, Linux, and most of the popular BSD variants (which account for the bulk of all deployments) aren't fully compliant, although they can all be made so (or mostly so) with a bit of fiddling.

POSIX always struck me as something akin to Cobb's relational database model. Both are great ideas - in theory. But since 99% of the benefits can often be gained by only being partially compliant with either, most software vendors don't bother.

And outside of academic circles, hardly anyone seems to notice - or much care. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version