ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

First looks at OpenOffice 3.1

<< < (5/7) > >>

J-Mac:
I've always hated the QuickStart thing; why are we required to open the whole office suite just to work on a Writer document? I think that's a poor implementation. I prefer only opening what I need at any time.

Jim
-J-Mac (March 02, 2009, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to use quick start - jusrt click on the application directly.-Carol Haynes (March 03, 2009, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I do! But it is the default so on a new installation - or at least it used to be. Opening a document or any of the individual apps triggers the QuickStart. Maybe they changed it in this version? Hopefully.

Jim

Edvard:
Quickstart should only open once and sit in your tray, or you can set it to open on startup.
If it goes everytime you open a file, maybe you have it actually disabled and so it loads every time you open a OO file?

J-Mac:
Quickstart should only open once and sit in your tray, or you can set it to open on startup.
If it goes everytime you open a file, maybe you have it actually disabled and so it loads every time you open a OO file?
-Edvard (March 03, 2009, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't want it open, taking memory for no good reason, at all! So I would close it - completely. And, yes, it will open again and again if you close it. I have to end up disabling it altogether - and users shouldn’t have to figure out how to do that. Even Microsoft doesn't keep the entire Office suite open in the background by default so individual programs load faster.

Jim

Edvard:
Aha, I understand now.

Yes, the new OpenOffice 3.1 starts up much faster even with the startup load.

Carol Haynes:
-Edvard (March 03, 2009, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't want it open, taking memory for no good reason, at all! So I would close it - completely. And, yes, it will open again and again if you close it. I have to end up disabling it altogether - and users shouldn’t have to figure out how to do that. Even Microsoft doesn't keep the entire Office suite open in the background by default so individual programs load faster.

Jim
-J-Mac (March 03, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually MS Office does startup an application at startup - they just don't put an icon in the system tray. Also MS loads all sorts of modules into memory with Windows at startup too support all kinds of software (whether you use it or not) - check you task manager.

As I understand it OpenOffice do not load the whol application into memory at startup they just load a helper which appears in the system tray - which many many programs do and given that it is a cross platform app it is not surprising that it has to rely on non-MS libraries etc. to run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version