ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Welcome to a Preview of Your Google Future.. Ads on EVERYTHING

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Baint and switch is an aaaage old tactic, and why on earth wouldn't you use such a tactic? :)

Deozaan:
I'm not happy about it either. :(

Just pray to all saints that Adblock Plus continues to work.

CWuestefeld:
Baint and switch is an aaaage old tactic, and why on earth wouldn't you use such a tactic? :)
-f0dder (February 26, 2009, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
This isn't bait-and-switch. As the link that mouser provided defined,
a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is.
--- End quote ---

Google isn't promising that you can have ad-free services but not delivering on the promise. All they're doing is introducing services at a low (or free) price so that people get used to them, and then increasing the price (in the form of advertising). How many times have you seen a "special introductory offer"? I bet you've even used them a few times. That's all that you can accuse Google of.

But really, what can you possibly expect? How in the world can anyone give you services without paying for it some way? Someone has to do the programming, the servers, hard drives, bandwidth, power all have to be paid for somehow. Surely you didn't believe that there are people financing this who are just looking for a way to pump their money into providing free services for you.

mrainey:
Surely you didn't believe that there are people financing this who are just looking for a way to pump their money into providing free services for you.
--- End quote ---

If you spend some time at alt.comp.freeware, you'll see that there are many people out there who DO believe that there should be people busting their butts to provide free services for everybody.

mahesh2k:
As long as Adblock Plus cuts them out, you won't see me complain too much either.
--- End quote ---

+`1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version