ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Welcome to a Preview of Your Google Future.. Ads on EVERYTHING

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
The path that we are taking in the evolution of the internet seems increasingly clear.

* Step 1 is create tons of FREE web services.
* Of course don't be stupid enough to put ads on these things because people won't *start* using them if they see the ads!
* Step 2 is to market the hell out of these free services -- try to establish a monopoly and cross market your other sites -- the goal is to give everything away in order to capture market share -- profit doesn't matter at this point.
* Then once you have gathered enough users and established a userbase that has registered, etc., THEN you start flooding them with ads or fees, since they won't have an easy time migrating away once they are firmly entrenched.
I must say i'm not all that happy with this vision of our future :down:

The business model of the web in the next decade looks like it's increasingly going to be founded on the age old concept of Bait and Switch.

From google:
If you're in the US, starting today you may notice something a bit different when you search Google News.  Last November, we announced plans to begin experimenting with ads on a number of Google properties, including news query refinements within Google search. Today, we're continuing a similar experience for users by introducing ads on Google News search-results pages in the US.

--- End quote ---

http://googlenewsblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/ads-in-google-news-search-results.html

from http://www.appscout.com/

gexecuter:
As long as the ads aren't too intrusive and the services are free you won't see me complaining too much.

nosh:
As long as Adblock Plus cuts them out, you won't see me complain too much either.  :P

zridling:
Good point, mouser. I've noticed Google squeezing ads in a lot of white spaces these days. The ads on every youtube video was the first blow. It seems no matter the medium, there's always ads. It blows.

sazzen:

;D I have to ask, just what were you expecting, then????   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version