ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE - IDEA: launch apps on Fast User Switch (set vol., etc).

(1/6) > >>

JeffK:
I thought of an idea.  My 16 year old daughter and I are continually coming to blows about our joint use of the computer.  Quite apart from her forgetfulness about who pays for it and is therefore entitled to use it as he sees fit, she is always complaing because I mute the sound.

She goes on, turns her music on up loud, and leaves it on loud when she's finished.  I get on and straight away I either turn the speakers down or mute it in some other way.  Whaen she returns she whinges about having to turn the sound up again.  I swear the next time she does it the speakers a re going in the trash.

What would be nice would be a preset speaker volume for each user (we have Win XP Home SP2).  When the computer is being used under my name the volume level returns to a default (for me that would be zero) and when she switches to her account it swithches to her default (set by me so that the neighbours don't complain).

Probably harder than it sounds to program.  What do you guru's think?

Jeff (cross posted from another place in the forum).

mouser:
i know this could be done by using a commandline volume setting tool and creating two shortcuts, each executed when the different person logs in, so this probably is not something to be coded as an app, but rather someone who knows how to do this and knows a good commandline volume setter (i know these exist) could maybe post a howto..

Scott:
There are a bunch of utils that can easily control (or completely mute) the volume.  One of them is the command line utility NirCmd.

I use NirCmd for exactly this purpose already.  Whenever I boot, the following command line runs, to make sure I didn't accidentally leave the volume too high before shutting down:

nircmd.exe setsysvolume 16384

To do it on a per-user basis, you'd run a similar command in each user's startup group (as a shortcut), or under the applicable HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key.  This won't work if you're using Fast User Switching on WinXP, though, and using it to switch between user accounts.

JeffK:
That would be good.

frogblast:
The problem is a commandline solution won't help when using Fast User Switching to switch between accounts that are already open. (I don't know if that's your usage pattern....)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version