Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 05:35:16 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Open File Security Warning (Firefox)  (Read 4176 times)
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:16 AM »

OK, this has been pissing me off for a while - the "Open File - Security Warning" dialog boxes when you've downloaded stuff off the internet. The warning was introduced with whatever Internet Explorer version, and uses NTFS Alternate Data Streams (probably the one called "Zone.Identifier:$DATA") to store the "this is a potential bad file" info. With FF2, everything was happyhappyjoy since it didn't write this crap, but FF3 does by default.

I've made a few quick but futile google attempts, but wasn't successful and have other things to do, so I was wondering if any of the bright minds of DonationCoder have figured out how to disable this? smiley

- carpe noctem
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »

Some day I'll get to earn a living doing Google searches.  Wink

http://blog.case.edu/bes7...ownloaded_with_firefox_30

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

Luvya, app Kiss

Didn't know the IE setting would take care of FF as well (though it doesn't surprise me) - but it is nicer to have a FF-specific fix. Knew about a lot of the other stuff in the article, but it's nice to see people who are thorough and provide good and complete information - good find.

Mind telling me which search string you used, oh google-fu master? embarassed

- carpe noctem
scancode
Honorary Member

I will eat Cody someday.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »

remove security warning firefox

works for me

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »

remove security warning firefox

works for me
/me digs a hole and buries himself and his lazyness.

Oh well, at least we now have a DC post about the issue. (Don't tell me there already was >_<)

- carpe noctem
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »

Oh well, at least we now have a DC post about the issue. (Don't tell me there already was >_<)

Go dig a bigger hole... http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=5459.0  cheesy
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

I need somebody to design a RETARD badge I can add to my profile embarassed embarassed embarassed

- carpe noctem
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »

Hehe. Looks like they REALLY don't want you to do this:

(firefox pop-up when I typed "about:config" in the address bar)

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
TheQwerty
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »

Also, you can use Sysinternal's streams to remove the ADS from the files.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

Ah, that other thread wasn't about the firefox-specific way to do it, though, so while I could've disabled it globally, it's not the same - a bit smaller stupid-badge for me, then cheesy

TheQwerty: yep, that'd work, but would still be an annoyance... and not much easier than simply saying "don't warn about this file again" first time you launch a downloaded file. One of the reasons my google-fu was unsuccessful was probably that I knew a bit too much about the problem - instead of trying "Open File Security Warning (Firefox)", my search query was "firefox alternate data streams" graduate

- carpe noctem
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

I need somebody to design a RETARD badge I can add to my profile embarassed embarassed embarassed

Your wish is my command...

(I proudly wear this one myself more often than not.  embarassed Grin)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:37:36 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »

firefox run program warning downloads (I also have it set to show 100 results per page, found it at #31)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.049s | Server load: 0.07 ]