Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 07:19:49 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: RESTART PROGRAM AFTER CRASH  (Read 11647 times)
kisskiss
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:34:24 AM »

Will it be possible to make a small footprint and low resource usage application to automaticaly restart one or more user define application instantly after it crashed (start it after the proccess is gone in task manager)? 

P.s. - It's nice if it has a time delay function before restarting the application.

I really would need to have something like this, can someone would consider to make one? Please, please, please... Kiss

Many thanks!!! Thmbsup
KiSS
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:49:14 AM by kisskiss » Logged
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

With crash you will likely mean that the app in question crashes by itself. For that case I don't have a solution (didn't bother to Google for it, so no kiss for me  embarassed).

However, Process Explorer from Sysinternals does offer you the a restart option when using its context menu (and likely the default task manager from Windows offers the same functionality). A restart based on a interval might be a solution for you if the application runs for a long time before it crashes.

Besides, if the app needs to run 24h/day, it might be a better idea to use it as a Windows service instead. In the service maintenance screen (again, the context menu is your best friend...after Google of course Wink) Windows gives you the option to automagically restart the service after a crash occurs.

Now I believe there is software that will enable app's to get the same treatment as services (XYNTservice or XYservice it was called, I think).
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:46:18 AM »

If you only monitor for "process isn't running anymore" (which would be relatively easy to do), it won't be possibly to terminate the process normally... If that isn't a problem, there's a couple of solutions.

If you only want to restart crashed applications, things get a bit more complicated, and you'd basically have to interface with the just-in-time debugging interface smiley

- carpe noctem
kisskiss
Participant

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »

Will it possible to hook start the application and monitor it's process then restart it if it crash?
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »

Well, my idea would be making an app that launches the "watched-over" apps, and restart them if terminated - which is easy. But detecting intentional close vs. crash is the difficult part smiley

- carpe noctem
kisskiss
Participant

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »

Well, my idea would be making an app that launches the "watched-over" apps, and restart them if terminated - which is easy. But detecting intentional close vs. crash is the difficult part smiley

Nice, hopefully someone could make some thing like this.
Hello71
Participant

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »

Well then, what is "crash" defined as then? Not closing using "X" button? It would be impossible to figure out whether a user is using the File>Exit button though, as that usually just closes everything then self-terminates.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »

Well then, what is "crash" defined as then? Not closing using "X" button? It would be impossible to figure out whether a user is using the File>Exit button though, as that usually just closes everything then self-terminates.
In my terminology, crash means crash - a program getting terminated by the OS because it executes invalid code. This can be detected, as I wrote earlier, by interfacing with the just-in-time debugger interface.

- carpe noctem
shayne.micchia
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »

Hi Everyone (first post)

I have had this requirement and can suggest 2 freeware tools that do this:

PC Inspector Process Guard
http://www.pcinspector.de...guard/info.htm?language=1
http://www.softpedia.com/...Monitoring/fs-guard.shtml

Keep Running
http://jpelectron.com/
http://www.softpedia.com/...-Tools/Keep-Running.shtml

Hope this helps :-)

Just about to post some requests for a few small utils ..

Shayne

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »

Welcome shayne! Thanks for the links  Thmbsup
shayne.micchia
Participant

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:12 AM »

I forgot this one (I have not used it in a long time .. maybe still ok)

WatchDog
http://fsl.sytes.net/watchdog.html

Regards
kisskiss
Participant

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »

Nice! Thanks shayne. Thmbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register