topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Auto suspend programs when focus changes to new window & free up resources  (Read 4354 times)

steveorg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I usually overload my computer with too many simultaneous programs. Before I know it, CPU usage is through the roof. I figure that I have two choices - become more disciplined about shutting down programs or request a coding snack. Self-discipline is not my strong suit so here I am.

Sometimes I lower CPU usage by suspending programs with Process Explorer. It's almost inevitable that I'll forget to resume a program and have to waste time figuring out why I can't switch to the window.

Would it be possible to auto-suspend programs when the focus changes to another window and automatically resume when the focus switches back? The program would reside in the system tray. Features would include a list of programs that never should never be suspended and check boxes to suspend/resume programs in the system tray. There would also be a way for one time switches that would leave a program running - something like a hot key in lieu of alt-tab.

The result would be a minimal number of processes running at once, which would free up a tremendous amount of system resources. Is this possible or am I living in a fantasy world?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:43 PM by steveorg »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You could take a look at Mouser's Process Tamer. Also I'm sure there are freeware apps that give more of a priority boost to the foreground than Windows does by default.  That sort of approaches the effect you want I think.  If you are trying to save resources by duplicating the system resource management it seems self-defeating. It may be better to come up with an easier way to close multiple apps when you are done with them.  With all the gizmos around there must be something like that.

Having dormant apps taking up ram sounds even worse than caching apps you're not going to run. :)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:26 PM by MilesAhead »