ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

First looks at OpenOffice 3.1

<< < (7/7)

Carol Haynes:
Sorry if I gave you that impression - actually I use MS Office 2007 almost exclusively.

I did have a play with OO 3 and am generally impressed with what they have acheived and I have recommended it to a number of people as an alternative to spending money.

No software is without its irritations but as far as free software goes I think OO is an admirable effort to meet a need. I just think sometime people can be rather critical of a product that is being given away for free. It happens here some times (rarely) when people get uptight when something isn't quite right in software produced by Mouser and others.

WRT MS Outlook - I seem to be in a hate relationship too but I actually prefer it (when it works) to the alternatives. I like some of the new features in Outlook 2007 but I just wish they would make the whole thing run more efficiently and not have such a clunky feel in use. I presume it is in line for the ribbon treatment in the next version - which I am not against in principle - I just hope they focus on some of the practical issues.

Midnight Rambler:
Have been using OO since 1.14 and biggest drawback is still that user has to download full file even for minor version update.  Not as big an issue since broadband but FF finally got it right so why can't OO?

Also, installation of 3.0 over 2.X corrupted some components of my Vista SP1 laptop.  Luckily, had TI 11 image and restored.

And what's up with OO's funky real-time spell check function?  Still haven't figured out how it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version