topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox Extension: Link Extend  (Read 7670 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Extension: Link Extend
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:13 AM »
from ghacks which describes the value of this tool well:

If you are a cautious user on the Internet you might want to find out as much as possible about sites that you are going to visit before actually visiting them. The basic concept of Link Extend is to provide a wide range of information about a selected link. It queries more than 20 different web services and displays the results in an overlay on the same page. Results are divided into different categories like Safety, Kid Safe or Ethics.

Each web service rates the link that has been analyzed. This ranges from low risk to high risk websites in the Safety category, safe, suspicious or unsafe in the Kid Safe category or very good and very bad in the Ethics category. A total of eight different services are queried in the safety category including Site Advisor, Google Safe Browsing or Norton. The other two categories make use of three services each like WOT, Icra or Corporate Critic.

from http://www.ghacks.ne...firefox-link-extend/

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extension: Link Extend
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:32 PM »
This FireFox add-on slows FireFox to a standstill if you have sped up FireFox as I have.

I used the following article (the first four hacks) to speed up my FireFox 5 - 10 times. Now I can leave 20 tabs open at the end of a session, and have them reopen in no time at all.

http://www.techradar...culously-fast-468317

It's great to have FireFox function this well. Try it. (and avoid the slowdowns caused by Link Extend, they are just not worth it)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:06 AM »
I have a GreaseMonkey script that used to do that - but it stopped working about a month after I installed it. Not sure why I still have it installed; maybe I think it is suddenly going to wake up and work again?

Thanks!

Jim

NewsAndHistory

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mouser.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38 PM »
I've found that anything that pre-searches potential site hits will slow down your browser. I've seen it with Antivirus trying to 'inform' me of potential bad sites, as this one indicates is it's function. However, if safety is your main concern, as the quoted portion by mouser states, 'the cautious user', perhaps the wait is worth it.

I've found in personal experience, the only sites I should be especially wary of, are usually associated with No CD/DVD workarounds and the such.