ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Password Protect File Or Folder?

<< < (5/6) > >>

f0dder:
I still don't get why you say TrueCrypt isn't "secure enough" - it does what it's intended to do and does it well.

Obviously it doesn't secure your privacy surfing the net and stuff like that, but that's not what it's meant to do. And it obviously doesn't stand a chance against Rubber-hose cryptanalyst, but then again nothing does.

Sure, privacy as a general thing is a much broader topic, but TC keeps your files encrypted and safe, and guards against leaking unencrypted material.

Paul Keith:
In my opinion, it's mostly because you're seeing it through the question of "How is this software flawed?" rather than "How does technology shape our minds and what am I saying that's weakening the goals of this app?"

Skimming Technopoly in my opinion would really help if you can afford to grab the book. It doesn't really deal with TrueCrypt per se but the core introduction may be better at making you see through my perspective than anything I say. (though as I pointed out in my previous post, it isn't the sole or major reason why I feel TrueCrypt isn't secure enough.)

arthurz:
There is only one: Logitech Nano Cordless Laser Mouse V550!
Super fast scrolling, long battery life, soft buttons, precise.

siouxdax:
Hello all:
I'm the one who started this post; I never knew I could spark so much conversation! When it comes to the subject of encryption, I'm less than a newbie. I'm a proficient PC user, but all of this conversation is over my head. But to let you folks know, I wound up choosing Androsa FileProtector to encrypt my files. It's easy to use, which was most important to me considering I'm not knowledgable in this area. Thank you all so much for the input!

f0dder:
Hm, there's a couple of things from Androsa's feature page that makes me wonder a bit...
*  AES - 256 bit / 192 bit / 128 bit
* TripleDES 192 bit
* DES 64 bit
--- End quote ---
Why oh why not just stick with AES-256?

Cryptography with password up to 256 bit (32 characters).
--- End quote ---
Does that mean they use your passphrase directly as encryption key? O_o

Also, keep in mind that with a program like this, you need to do a secure file wipe every time you've extracted/modified/re-inserted a file into a protected container, otherwise it will be possible to recover plaintext from your disk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version