ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Moving from Launchy

<< < (3/3)

joshuawood:
FARR isn't much slower than lanuchy, plus it doesn't need to reply on indexing like launchy, so it's always 100% up-to-date. Indexers are only as current as their last index, and take CPU/disk hits to do so.

Everyone goes on about launchy. It's a shame, but I just don't think many people even know about FARR.

skajfes:
From what I've seen from my friends etc, they all use Launchy (if even that) because that is the first launcher app they came accross and are just used to it. FARR is somewhat difficult to find, I guess because of the name. And if you find it somehow it requires some setup to bend it to your needs, and most people don't want to "waste" time. I like FARR just because with minimum effort you can do just about anything you can think of, and that makes it a great tool for helping with everyday tasks.

People also complain that non-indexed search is slow, but do not realize that if properly configured, FARR doesn't need to search more than a couple of hundred files and folders, and that is really not a big deal on todays computers and is done in a matter of milliseconds. If you really want to instantly search your entire disk use Everything, Locate32 or simillar app. FARR is not made for that.

mouser:
Thanks for all the positive comments.. By the way if anyone hasn't seen it i did write up a post a while ago trying to list some ways that FARR differs from other launchers, which might be useful to people trying to decide between launchers: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=13421.0

gexecuter:
One the first things i install after formatting my hard drive is Find and launch Robot, i really like the app. it's simple and it works so thanks mouser for making FAAR.

joshuawood:
skajfes, I don't see what time and effort is required to setup FARR. You just install, launch it and start typing what you want. Couldn't be simpler. I agree that if you want alias and such it takes more time, but you don't need to use all this. For simple searching, it's as quick and easy to set up as any other launcher. I will never go back to any other launcher.

And if you want the whole drive, use Everything as you suggested. You can even get a FARR plugin for it :) Instant searches ala launchy, but still with no indexing or performance hit. Perfect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version