topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your mouse of choice?  (Read 56726 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's your mouse of choice?
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Mine is the logitech MX revolution.
Once you try the scrollwheel, you cannot go back to any other mouse. It has no clicks, you can roll it in a 'free' way.

The big disadvantage: no middle click.

Do you know any mouse that has this 'free rolling' wheel while still having middle click?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your mouse of choice?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:07 PM »
I use a Logitech MX620 cordless and like it very much. It has the same scroll wheel as the MX Revolution, although you change the scroll properties with a switch under the mouse rather than by clicking on the wheel itself.

The MX620 has an extra button on top, near the left edge (see picture), which by default is set to invoke an Internet search, but can be assigned through software to just about anything you want, including a middle click.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:13 PM »

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:22 PM »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:57 PM »
I like the basic Microsoft USB optical mice.  They feel great in my hand, seem to last forever, and don't cost very much.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Razer Lachesis though truth be told I prefer trackballs , however getting a full featured multibutton left handed/ambidextrous track is almost impossible. nowadays
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Razer Lachesis though truth be told I prefer trackballs , however getting a full featured multibutton left handed/ambidextrous track is almost impossible. nowadays

trying to get left handed anything (mouse-wise) seems pretty challenging to me :(
thanks for that Razer tip
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 04:38 PM »
My rant against rechargeable mice: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10688.0

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:16 PM »
I like the basic Microsoft USB optical mice.  They feel great in my hand, seem to last forever, and don't cost very much.
Me too, two buttons & a wheel are enough for something I gota operate with my right hand (I'm left handed).

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Mine is the logitech MX revolution.
Once you try the scrollwheel, you cannot go back to any other mouse. It has no clicks, you can roll it in a 'free' way.

Same here. I love the MX Revolution - for the main scrollwheel, the shape and feel, and for the thumbwheel. Although for the main wheel I still use the click mode, can't get used to the free scrolling.

After a year or so, my MX has developed a problem though: every so often (like, once a minute during heavy mousing) a single left click generates a doubleclick instead. The mechanical contact thingie is wearing out, I suppose. This is hugely aggravating: click a delete button on a toolbar and a program performs two deletes instead of just one. Click the top-right (x) to exit an app, and exit two.

So I've been looking for a replacement, and it looks like the only candidate is another MX. I can no longer live without the thumbwheel! The two thumb buttons are also quite comfortable - I have them set up as zoom in and out. In any other mouse I've tried any additional buttons are positioned wrong somehow, out of comfortable reach - either too close to the middle of the mouse body, or too close to the front edge.

For my wife I recently got a Logitech VX Nano Cordless - looks like a mini version of the MX, sans the thumbwheel. She says it's the best mouse she's ever used. (Mouser note: this one uses AAA batterries, no recharging.)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I'm loving the Logitech 1100, which is supposed to be the upgraded MX Revolution I think.  They did away with the thumb wheel, though.  I love the free scrolling mode, I'll never go back.  Only occasionally will I go to click mode.  I was debating whether to get the MX or not because I thought I would like the thumb wheel, but some people said it was awkward.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I've been using Logitech mice for a long time (I've owned something like 6 of their mice). I used to have the MX Revolution but the battery in it died (boo). I am now using the G9. I love the free-spinning scroll wheel! If you press on the scroll wheel it should middle click, if not there's a software problem somewhere. IIRC you might have to specifically program that button to do a middle click if you're using the Logitech drivers (I don't use Logitech's drivers any more, I find they're never updated).

Do other brands have free-spinning scroll wheels?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40 PM »
For some reason, I couldn't get into the "loose" scrolling wheel feel of the MX Revolution and it just didn't beat the feel of a cheaper mouse so I settled for the A4-TECH OPTICAL MOUSE OP-620D PS/2 BLACK:

It's lighter than your average mouse. Same design. Has a single double click button. Scroll wheel feels fine. Mouse buttons a little loose which ironically makes it much easier to double click so the double click button is almost useless. Optical. No mouse ball.

I guess as I grew more accustomed to generic mouse, the stuff that wows me about expensive mouses just doesn't justify the price of a cheap, light and durable enough generic mouse.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:17 PM »
Do you know any mouse that has this 'free rolling' wheel while still having middle click?

The one I use:

mvmlbb_in_hand.gif

The v2 (what I have) has the smooth wheel. The newer v3 doesn't. And it's also a button, so you can middle click with it.

Oh, yeah...it also comes in a left-handed model, in the older v2, which is actually much easier to find than a right-handed v2, these days.

http://www.fentek-ind.com/mvmlbb.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:22 PM by app103 »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27 PM »
How's the feel of that vertical mouse app? I've always been curious about ergonomic designs but I hear so much complaint about them. This one's more like a scroll wheel than a mouse right?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55 PM »
It's like a regular mouse with 2 extra buttons (one is under the thumb)

It took me about a week to get used to it. Now I wouldn't want to use anything else. Any "normal" mouse feels so tiny & awkward (and painful).

I have a problem with a bump that formed on the bony part of my wrist. Most people that use a computer a lot have the same bump. It's a lot like the one that developed on the middle finger of your writing hand from all the homework you did as a kid. Most never notice they have one on their wrist and it doesn't cause them any problems. But for me, the pressure from resting my hand on the desk in the position one holds a normal mouse, was painful. It is like having a heel spur on your hand.

hand1.gif
(I bet you have a bump too, compare hands and you'll see it...one will be bigger than the other)

I tried using a padded gel mousepad with a wrist rest, but the "silky smooth satin cover" scratched my skin like sand paper and over the course of time, damaged my skin like scraping your hand on a cement sidewalk....right on the bump I was having problems with.

The vertical mouse allowed me to toss that mousepad and go back to a slicker surface. Because my hand is turned, that bony bump isn't touching anything.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50 AM »
I forgot to say that I will NOT get a Logitech product again because their software plain doesn't work on any machine I own. This is because of an incompatibility with my keyboard of choice (IBM ultranav). I contacted both companies and they really couldn't care less. This is on win XP, I hope, now that I'm moving into windows 7, the drivers will not conflict with each other.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:12 AM »
That is funny, I am the opposite.  I will never willfully use anything other than a Logitech mouse (though the thing about the software is true enough).   I just use MS mouse drivers with whichever one I choose and it works great.  I have yet to find anything I can do with the software that I can't do without it.  (well maybe if you have the 5 button mouse and want to program each one, but I only use the 3 buttons and they are configurable through windows).

As for the OP, I use the original VX - you know, before the Nano receiver.  It is quite possibly the best mouse I have ever owned.  I like it better than the MX because the thumb wheel seemed to always get in the way and it is so large in any event.  I chose the VX because it was going to be used with a laptop and hence more portable.  I also didn't need the extra wheel or buttons.  It has since migrated to everywhere I go (desktop and laptop).  The user replaceable AA battery is a bonus as well as the self-storing USB receiver. (This is for you Mouser!).  It is great because it lasts for weeks (usually 4-6 depending on usage) on the one AA battery and I use a AA recharger and rechargeable batteries (but am not beholden to them if I can't get back to the recharger  :Thmbsup:)  I like the Nano receiver, but would not go with the flatter nano VX if I had a choice because this one just fits so well.  However, if I ever loose the choice, I would not hesitate to consider the current VX version.

And for those of you who mentioned the freewheel - my VX has the user select slider switch for this capability as described about the MX620.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 03:41 AM »
Thanks app. One final question, does the mouse need proprietary drivers and is it compatible with Linux?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 04:37 AM »
I use a Logitech VX Revolution for my laptop, and think it's an awesome mouse! I wish the USB connector was small like the VX Nano, but apart from that I really love this mouse. The logitech software isn't too good, but UberOptions gives it lots of extra goodness :)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:06 AM »
So up to now, only App's hard-to-find, more-so-in-EU Evoluent is the only one non-logitech with the free wheel. Anyone?

I'm surprised no other maker has copied this; it's a truly great idea.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 06:30 AM »
The VX Revolution has the "free wheel", if I understand you correctly. The wheel also functions as a middle button.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 08:06 AM »
Logitech G5.  I just bought another one this week.  I wore my old one out FPS gaming.  I was going to buy the G9, but it's ugly, I don't like the shape or the way it fits my hand.  I want the 3200 DPI, but can do without it. The G5 is the best gaming mouse I have ever owned.

http://www.logitech....ces/359&cl=US,EN

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I alternate between the mouse that came with my Bamboo Fun and a Microsoft Standard Optical Wireless mouse...

Currently (as in switched back about 20 minutes ago!) the MS mouse. Both work well, but I haven't used the Bamboo tablet in about six months, so disconnected it to reclaim some deskspace (admittedly, all I am really doing is reducing the footprint of one USB 1.1 wire from the tablet to a hub...). Anyway, both work well!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Thanks app. One final question, does the mouse need proprietary drivers and is it compatible with Linux?

Windows: comes with drivers, works well, doesn't really need them unless you want to set the more complex features or change the defaults.

Mac: Basic 2 button functionality without drivers, which are not included. They are available from a 3rd party supplier and will enable all 5 button, but the drivers are not free.

UNIX/Linux: no drivers available. It's just a standard 3-button mouse with these OS's...

unless you have the wireless version (only comes in v3). With that one Linux is 5 buttons functional In XFree 4.0.1 or higher, and Knoppix Linux 3.9 or higher without a driver: left click (top), right click (middle), middle click (bottom), middle click (wheel), right click (thumb)

But the wireless one isn't compatible with UNIX at all.