topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your mouse of choice?  (Read 56718 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your mouse of choice?
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Oh wait. Apologies app. When you were talking about scroll wheel feeling, I thought you were referring to a different model than the ergonomic one. Unless I'm mistaken, the reason it doesn't have bumps is because it's like a smaller scroll ball on the mouse right?

Something feeling like this if the size of the wheel was bigger and more exposed?

I really can't tell you if it does or doesn't feel like that as I have never used something like that.

Mine is most definitely a wheel and not a ball, though, and a normal sized wheel at that.

Oh, one more thing I should mention about the scrolling behavior of my mouse, because some may find it quite annoying...

Without the drivers installed in Windows, or with the software closed, this issue does not occur, and with the software loaded it only occurs in applications where the mouse wheel serves a different function than scrolling, mainly software like Paintshop Pro, Photoshop, and maybe some games, where scrolling is used for zooming. I can't say if the same thing happens with the Mac drivers, but it's definitely an issue in Windows.

I noticed the problem in Paintshop Pro, since that's what I have and use. Normal scroll mouse behavior allows you to zoom in/out on an image when you hover your mouse over it and hit your scroll wheel. It allows you to zoom in on specific areas of the image by shifting mouse position & zooming. This is great for working on very large, highly detailed images or pixel-by-pixel work.

But with my ergo mouse's software loaded, it won't zoom if you are hovering over the image...it tries to scroll up/down the image instead. The only way you can zoom is to place your mouse over the titlebar of the image when you turn your wheel, and that is not the same kind of zoom at all.

When working on very large images, I usually close the mouse software from the tray and restart it when I am finished. It's the only way to be able to use the zoom features properly, in Paintshop Pro.

So, this ergo mouse might not be the best choice for artists & gamers.

Edit: I updated the drivers and this fixes the zoom issue.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:10 PM by app103 »

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Microsoft Sidewinder X5. I got it for cheap with a cashback offer, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. Also having a Sidewinder X6 Keyboard to go along with it.

As far as comfort goes, its quite decent. Its feels large initially, but once you get used to it, its alright.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 08:58 PM »
I have a VX Nano and an MX Revolution; on both I have mapped the small button just behind the scroll wheel to the "middle click" function, which works fine for me. Yes, you can set the wheel to send a middle-click when pressed instead of the default clutch behavior (toggle from clicky to free-spinning), but as was pointed out, the button is just too hard to use that way... to me it feels like the click is too "deep"

Also, I wanted to point out to users of the MX Revolution (and a lot of other Logitech products), check out the so-called "uberOptions" which allow many additional functions to be assigned to each button.

http://www.mstar.net/users/rlowens/

In fact, I can't remember now, but maybe that software is required to get the middle-click function.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Thanks ayryq. I forgot about that app for Logitech mouses.

@app103

Hmm... I also haven't tried that mouse. I just assumed since it's a vertical mouse that the wheel would be much closer to a smaller ball so I used that image.

Oh well. Still thanks for all the details. I'm inching closer and closer to trying that mouse out but I don't think we have a local distributor here of that model so I can't request for a test copy but I'll try it as soon as it becames cheap enough. Any idea where to look for discounts on these kinds of mouses?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 10:43 PM »
As I said, the newer model (v3 released in 2007) has detents on the wheel, so if you are looking for one without, you may have troubles as that model is discontinued (v2 released in 2004), except for the left-handed model is still available in v2 (there is no v3 for lefties yet).

It is an expensive mouse, and I received mine as a gift from a friend right before the v3 was released (he paid $65), otherwise I would probably never have owned one to be able to tell you about it.

If you want the left-handed model, Amazon.com has it available (only 1 left), and I suppose you can return it for a refund if you don't like it. Since it does take some getting used to, I would make sure wherever you get it from will allow you to use it for at least a week and still allow you to return it if you don't like it.

These are the 2 cheapest retailers I could find online, for both the right & left-handed v2 model:

Right-handed ($39.99) http://www.activefor...gonomic-mouse-2.aspx
Left-handed ($49.95) http://www.etech4sal...ouse2-left-hand.html

I just updated the driver software for mine (just found out about the new drivers)

It's got some new tricks!

This might be of interest to you (accelerated scrolling - I am not sure I like it):

SNAG-00145.png

And it seems to now come with it's own built in Instant Boss:

SNAG-00146.png

And you can now set not only a general default button configuration, but also application specific configurations. This could be a real productivity booster if you set the extra buttons to perform commonly used actions in specific applications.

I set my general defaults to use them for copy & paste, so I don't have to take my hand off the mouse for ctrl+c/ctrl+v or right click & select from menu...much faster and easier to use the programmed buttons for this.

SNAG-00147.png

Edit: New drivers corrects the zoom issue I reported previously! Yay!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:07 PM by app103 »

colonelz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • colonelz's home [german]
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 04:17 AM »
One more vote for the Razer Lachesis:Thmbsup: And also one goes to the Intuos 3 from Wacom for graphics stuff.

Since the first Razer i bought several years ago the brand is my favourite choice. The Razer Boomslang was a excellent gaming mouse in the past and it's successors Diamondback and Lachesis are also fine for daily work. If you worked some days with one and when you are familiar with it's sensitivity you stay. I think it's something like working with trackballs. I don't like them but they are also a bit special from handling and if you are familiar working with them you prefer them instead of moving mice.

I don't like working with cordless mice because normally they are to heavy. I liked a friends Logitech VX Nano a little, but not so much for a change.

TPReal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54 AM »
I have recently bought a VX Nano, which has already be mentioned in this thread, and I agree with what has already been said - it is comfortable and nice to use (some people might say it is too small but for me it's not a drawback), and the main problem is it does not have the middle button. But for me setting the side button (the one with the down arrow) as a middle button is OK, just a matter of reprogramming your brain1 to have middle on the left :)

The flywheel :) is the main reason why I have chosen Logitech. It's great and I guess I'll never have a mouse without it again. There's really no easier way to scroll down a long document if you just remember an image you're looking for, or a particular "shape" of text in this place. It takes a bit of practice to make it spin up fast - spinning down is natural, while spinning up seems harder at first.

The only problem with the wheel I've encountered so far: when I scroll a long file in Eclipse it sometimes behaves strangely, like it changes the direction and for a moment goes the wrong way, or it does not stop immediately after I stop the flywheel. But the problem is definitely in Eclipse - I have tried a lot of other applications and encountered no problems of this kind. Anybody knows anything about this?

My previous mouse was X7 from A4Tech (I don't remember the exact series) which I can also recommend. It was comfortable to use, and I liked the fact that the cord was very thin and didn't cause this unpleasant feeling of resistance when there was not too much place on the desktop for it.

I had to buy a new mouse because after 2 years or so of using it frequently the wheel ceased to work properly.

1) Reprogramming one's brain is funny. If you don't like other people doing things on your computer when you're away for a moment, change directions of the mouse (left with right and up with down). You'll get used to it after something like two days and most people will feel completely lost and give up messing with your machine :) I used for this a small timer-based program I wrote once for fun.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 01:17 AM »
This is my mouser of choice. It's one of a kind and there are none better. :Thmbsup:

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2009, 07:10 PM »
I personally don't like to spend a crap load on mice, all I need is my handy dandy el cheapo Logitech cordless internet pro, and boy is it old. You can't even find it on logitech's website anymore (at least I couldn't find it). I wish I had a right handed thumb trackball though.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37 PM »
This is my mouser of choice. It's one of a kind and there are none better. :Thmbsup:

I beg to differ.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Mine are also from the Logitech camp, a 'MX500' and a 'Cordless MouseMan Wheel'. The latter still has a ball inside (that old!!) but really fits like a "glove" so I keep feeding it batteries and don't mind the regular cleaning at all.

Lack of precision in games made me buy the MX500 some 5 years ago and that one still suffices for my gaming.

tricky11

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2009, 07:49 AM »
I strongly suggest Logitech G5, it's crystal clear tracking, three sensitivity settings, no bumps or skips across the screen at all. The programmable buttons are a life saver, and they function perfectly. Excellent for grinding wow gold and questing.  :)

edited to remove spam link
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:06 AM by app103 »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I love my Microsoft Arc mouse -- feels full size, folds down to portable size for transportation and I've only just yesterday replaced the "AAA" batteries that came with it, almost 2 months life at heavy use.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 07:12 AM »
So after 3 pages, we still don't have the exact free-wheel on any non-logitech mouse (bar the vertical one)?

You gotta love patents.

mikiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 03:21 PM »
FWIW, closest I've ever come to the free-wheeling scroll wheel on my VX Nano was with a trackball -- a Kensington clone I believe I used to pick up at CompUSA. Not that the scroll wheel on the Nano is necessarily a good thing -- more an addiction making conventional wheels with detent near unbearable. :-(

Personally I use the mouse a *lot* for graphics/vid, but more often than not just for a short amount of time... with my right hand constantly going from keyboard to mouse or tablet or cup of coffee/tea, I've developed a rather strong dislike of ergo mice, or mug handles for that matter. ;-) I just want to grab it & let go the easiest, fastest way possible, & the Nano fills the bill. So does the Microsoft Notebook mouse, but the receivers kept dying.

Wireless is a must, because with hi rez mice only wireless is delicate enough -- the reason I like smaller, notebook mice is I can control them exclusively with my fingers, which is nice for detail work. When you give it a slight nudge, any cord has an unfortunate habit of nudging back.

For mousing surface, rather than spend a bunch of money, I use flexible (roll-up type) kitchen cutting boards/surfaces. They're relatively large to stay put, easy to clean, & have just enough texture for tactile feedback -- otherwise it's pretty close to an air hockey table in feel. And finally, because I've been doing this a bunch of years, I use this, which I've padded:
http://www.dealextre...details.dx/sku.10541   [despite the pic, it's really an arm rest]

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Personally I use the mouse a *lot* for graphics/vid, but more often than not just for a short amount of time... with my right hand constantly going from keyboard to mouse or tablet or cup of coffee/tea

Now that you mention it, I've realized I have developed a habit of holding mugs in my left hand, even though I'm right-handed. Never even noticed this before. Homo keyboardicus!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 05:19 PM »
despite the pic, it's really an arm rest
A whole new twist on arm-restling!

fhayes

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I love my Logitech LX7 cordless optical. Very smooth and comfortable design. The programmable tilt wheel makes web navigating so much easier, I really miss it when I'm at work.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Mice and keyboards are the same to me. Completely disposable. I keep cheap 2 button scroll wheel mice around and use them until they die. $10-$15 is plenty to spend, for El Cheapo Grande.
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I love my Logitech TrackMan wheel mouse.
My other mouse is a Logitech MX 400.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 12:26 AM »
how come there aren't more mice with small trackball wheels where the mousewheel normally is? doesn't this seem like a logical thing to build?

olamoree

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57 AM »
Hmmm... One day I got a pain in my right wrist (I'm right-handed) so I moved the mouse to the left hand and have never gone back....and the pain went away.  I can still mouse and make notes, still mouse and do the keyboard and number pad, still mouse and drink coffee, still mouse and... It only takes about a week to get used to the switch.  The mouse?  A $1 PS/2 TINY laptop one (two button 3rd button small wheel) that on the bottom says, "Optical Mouse Model CM103" Made in China.  It is so small that I don't even need to spread my fingers out!  Can even pick it up and mouse on the top of my leg.  It used to have the click-click-click mouse wheel, but I intervened...inside, it is a plastic gear on the side of the wheel that bumps over a plastic stick inside... I just bent the stick out of the way and now have a "smooth wheel" like all the other guys.... and it is set for 3-lines-at-a-time so goes fast.  I guess its all I need. 

Doppelganger

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12 AM »
I like my Kensington Expert Mouse.

I've decided that wireless mice (and keyboards) are a pain.  I get tired of them not working half the time because the batteries need changed.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33 AM »
how come there aren't more mice with small trackball wheels where the mousewheel normally is? doesn't this seem like a logical thing to build?

Agreed. My best friend has a Logitech trackball mouse because she get cramps from arthritis. I struggle with the size of the ball in addition to never using any other one. Closest I can come to the feel is a touch pad. I don't use that either (I use some kind of MS wireless laser notebook mouse), if I can help it.
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Mooseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27 PM »
I have to chime in on this one.  I have been using the MX 1000 for a few years now and it's still going strong.  Although it has been out of production for a while, it was the first to have laser tracking.  This thing is BIG, which is perfect for my huge hand.  It has tons of buttons, which is great for me while gaming.  There are three buttons for the thumb, one above and below the wheel, the wheel's middle click and the wheel itself tilts side to side for two more functions (great for leaning/peaking in games).  The scroll wheel is a click detent but not a strong one, which can make you go over one click too many.  I liked it so much that I bought another one for my work.  It just fits my hand that much better.  The battery will last over a week and it still holds a great charge even after about 3 years of use.

I have tried the Microsoft SideWinder gaming mouse.  Although it too was big and had great feel with the weights, it just didn't have enough buttons.  One neat thing was the ability to adjust the sensitivity on the fly so you can slow it down when sniping.  It also has the ability to record macros of keyboard and mouse presses and replay them at the touch of a specific button.  I wound up giving it to my kids and went back to my good ol' MX 1000.