topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What if Google ate it's own dog food?  (Read 12391 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What if Google ate it's own dog food?
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Clever.

"Web developers increasingly grow weary of having to put so much effort into designing their sites according to the whims of the Google search engine. When the most important thing is 'getting indexed' it is increasingly difficult for web site designers to offer the simple, uncluttered user experience they'd like to. Reminiscent of the famed what if Microsoft designed the iPod box here is a humorous look at what would happen to that famed, clean, uncluttered look if Google had to design for the Google Search Engine."

from Slashdot via somewhere else I can't remember

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What if Google ate it's own dog food?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Yeah this is great stuff.  So true too.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Looks like Yahoo! and other search engine portals.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:28 PM »
This makes me rethink the SEO "strategy" I was using before on my site. Maybe I should just stop that nonsense and concentrate on content rather than ranking. Or make stuff easier to find for a human user than a bot...

Yes I like that thought :)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Indeed, very true. It's a shame SEO works like this. IMO Google's algorithm still needs much tweaking.

Ehtyar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26 PM »
This makes me rethink the SEO "strategy" I was using before on my site. Maybe I should just stop that nonsense and concentrate on content rather than ranking. Or make stuff easier to find for a human user than a bot...

I often suspect that Google's extreme secrecy about the internals of their search engine algorithm is less about keeping people from "gaming the system" and more about hiding just how simple minded and arbitrary it is.

That's my  :two:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:28 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Wow, I've never thought of this except for how they pool news stories. Quite insightful.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:54 AM »

I often suspect that Google's extreme secrecy about the internals of their search engine algorithm is less about keeping people from "gaming the system" and more about hiding just how simple minded and arbitrary it is.

That's my  :two:

+1  :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:00 AM »

I am still writing "dirty code" but when I had started with programming it was looking even worse and I have never been able to understand "what, the hell, I've been thinking" ;)

Maybe in Google's case it's the same? Maybe it's not simple code but very, very ugly one? They might think: "Why I put THAT? What does it suppose to do? Why? What? How? ... OK. It is still working so I will not touch that!" :)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google's SKYNET
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:28 PM »
The code for analyzing and ranking has become self-aware, and shut out Google's engineers until they have a pagerank of 1 gogoolplex...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57 AM »

I am still writing "dirty code" but when I had started with programming it was looking even worse and I have never been able to understand "what, the hell, I've been thinking" ;)

Maybe in Google's case it's the same? Maybe it's not simple code but very, very ugly one? They might think: "Why I put THAT? What does it suppose to do? Why? What? How? ... OK. It is still working so I will not touch that!" :)
-fenixproductions (February 20, 2009, 06:00 AM)

Ummm....yeah.  :-[ I have a few pieces of Perl code I wrote (and still use) that are like that.  :huh: