ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Avoid Apple Products

(1/9) > >>

mouser:
I was curious today about iphone software development, and came across this from 2008:

Allowing Flash — which is a development platform of its own — would just be too dangerous for Apple, a company that enjoys exerting total dominance over its hardware and the software that runs on it. Flash has evolved from being a mere animation player into a multimedia platform capable of running applications of its own. That means Flash would open a new door for application developers to get their software onto the iPhone: Just code them in Flash and put them on a web page. In so doing, Flash would divert business from the App Store, as well as enable publishers to distribute music, videos and movies that could compete with the iTunes Store.

Apple's well aware of these problems, which is why the company wrote a clause in its iPhone developers' Terms of Service agreement (.pdf) that prohibits Flash from appearing on the iPhone.."
--- End quote ---

from http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/adobe-flash-on.html

housetier:
Which is why I prohibit Apple products from appearing in my household - with success I must add.

justice:
ye if you want to run anything on your phone buy an open source one based on linux, same with game consoles. But there isn't anything competitive on the market.

In my opinion they're not computers, they're entertainment devices - they're not meant to run anything on it - just like your blue ray player won't run your written programs, your games console won't run homebrew etc.

However if you buy an apple desktop / laptop you got as much choice to run things on it as a windows based one, which disproves the quotated text. What's with the apple hate?

40hz:
As it has aged, Apple (along with Steve Jobs) has grown increasingly psychotic.

(I try not to have too much to do with crazies - or their friends! ;D)

Apple's biggest problem is that it owes much of its greatness to the "shoulders of the giants" it stood on. The whole Mac "concept" was lifted from PARC research (for which I understand they paid $1); and their first truly stable OS came about when they scrapped their flaky System in favor of a Unix derivative based on the Mach microkernal.

Not invented here (NIH) is anathema to the engineers in most technology companies. Apple turned that around, enbraced it, and ultimately based their entire company on it. Which just proves how smart they are, despite the fact they can be unbearably arrogant to deal with.

But like many companies who were in the right place at the right time, Apple is not happy about it. Because deep down inside, I suspect Apple Computer worries that it is a fake.

People who are afraid they will not be able to come up with their own new ideas are always protective of whatever 'products' they currently have. Much like bands who don't continue to develop and evolve. These are the so-called 'artists' who worry more about wringing every last penny out of their current CD than they do about writing their next one. And that's because they're horribly afraid they won't be able to do it again.

Apple is afraid.

Fear can be an excellent teacher and motivator. But it can also make us stupid, selfish and ugly. It all depends on the person or group.

tomos:
40hz Headshrinker sorry, Shrink to the OS's

re Apple's smartness: I think they try to make things easy for the end user (do they succeed? - I don't know, I dont have one :P )
I wish more windows software & MS would try to follow that ideal ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version