topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Some old VB6 software of mine will no longer open MDB database  (Read 3764 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Back in 2003 I wrote a VB6 app that opened a database in MDB format.  It was a homemade project that showed a few generations of my family tree in a hierarchical treeview -- the info (pictures, birthdates, histories, etc.) all pulled from the MDB database.

Trouble is, now the program won't open the database.  I get a 5031 error message: Jet database unable to open database.  make sure it is not exclusive or already opened by another program.

I have the whole project on a CD (not with me at this moment, but I can provide it if it would be helpful).  But, anyone have any idea why it won't open the database anymore?  I reinstalled VB6, thinking that might help, but no dice.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Some old VB6 software of mine will no longer open MDB database
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Weirdly, the problem seems to have been solved by copying the archived project into the newly installed VB6's "Projects" folder.  Go figure.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Its because the database on the CD can't have its lock file created.  This is why moving it to a writable folder solved the issue.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Geesh.  I am astounded at my own denseness.  Makes me wonder how I ever manage to do any programming at all!

Thanks, Veign!