ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Some old VB6 software of mine will no longer open MDB database

(1/1)

kyrathaba:
Back in 2003 I wrote a VB6 app that opened a database in MDB format.  It was a homemade project that showed a few generations of my family tree in a hierarchical treeview -- the info (pictures, birthdates, histories, etc.) all pulled from the MDB database.

Trouble is, now the program won't open the database.  I get a 5031 error message: Jet database unable to open database.  make sure it is not exclusive or already opened by another program.

I have the whole project on a CD (not with me at this moment, but I can provide it if it would be helpful).  But, anyone have any idea why it won't open the database anymore?  I reinstalled VB6, thinking that might help, but no dice.

kyrathaba:
Weirdly, the problem seems to have been solved by copying the archived project into the newly installed VB6's "Projects" folder.  Go figure.

Veign:
Its because the database on the CD can't have its lock file created.  This is why moving it to a writable folder solved the issue.

kyrathaba:
Geesh.  I am astounded at my own denseness.  Makes me wonder how I ever manage to do any programming at all!

Thanks, Veign!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version