ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Updating xmplay screwed up something BIG! (issue fixed)

(1/1)

brotherS:
Hi,

updating xmplay earlier today had some nasty side-effect: all .exe files (of *all* programs installed) now have a xmplay icon, and the "type" changed to "XMPlay-able file". So when I now try to run a program by clicking an .exe file, it will only bring xmplay to the foreground... SUCKS!

I didn't yet PANIC because the installed programs are still starting when I double-click an associated file, for example .avi -> Zoom Player - so at least nothing important seems to have been overwritten. But how do I change this back so I could again start program directly?!? I use Vista.

Thanks in advance!

Ehtyar:
WinHelpOnline have a fix for Vista here. It's simply that XMPlay thought for some reason that it could play .exe files and when you told it to associate itself with the formats it could play, it overwrote the .exe association, a very well know flaw in Windows.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.

brotherS:
WinHelpOnline have a fix for Vista here. It's simply that XMPlay thought for some reason that it could play .exe files and when you told it to associate itself with the formats it could play, it overwrote the .exe association, a very well know flaw in Windows.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (February 19, 2009, 04:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, wow, I never heard about something like that happening.

I tried to grab that, but got:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /fileasso/exefix_vista.zip on this server.

--- End quote ---
Found it on http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/13053-undo-exe-file-association.html then.

Thanks!

Now clicking programs works again, they just still all have the xmplay icon. Not sure if that could be fixed easily too?

brotherS:
Now clicking programs works again, they just still all have the xmplay icon. Not sure if that could be fixed easily too?
-brotherS (February 19, 2009, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thankfully, the "all exe icons are incorrect" problem fixed itself just now when I installed a totally not related program, and I didn't even have to reboot since the problem showed up! No idea why or how, but I like THAT it's fixed. 8)

Thanks again for your help!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version