topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Agreeable Cat - Never be Bound By Online Legal Agreements Again  (Read 11458 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Of course, I have created a wonderful solution to this problem. My cat, Simba, agrees instead of me. As he is not a legal entity, I don't really know how kitty's agreements would stand up in court, but I like to think he would be responsible for any breaches of contract, assuming the agreement is even enforceable. After all, he is not even of legal age, at least in human years. First, we must create a way for Simba to push the button..

from http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Agreeable Cat - Never be Bound By Online Legal Agreements Again
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39 PM »
You can always act as Kitty's agent and push the button.

My two cats and my stuffed orangutan all registered with iTunes during a free download promotion ;)

Of course they asked for my help in what to choose to download and to operate the keyboard.

My orangutan keeps pestering for an iPod now though!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Awesome! Good find, mouser  :Thmbsup:

Carol - be strong. The key to parenting is to find the strength not to give in to every whim that catches your child ward's fancy. It's tough, but you're preparing them for a future in which the simple act of wanting does not equal having...  ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:57 PM »
My cat, Simba, agrees instead of me.
The litter of the law?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Team him up with the sheep and you'd be virtually untouchable!

sheep250.jpg

"Sheep, do you approve of this?"
[crank]
"Ah, I see.
Cat, proceed."

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:30 PM »
a future in which the simple act of wanting does not equal having...

Unless the object of desire is software  :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Google says you are not allowed to click the Adsense ads on your own websites, but it's ok if your cat does.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:59 PM »
a future in which the simple act of wanting does not equal having...

Unless the object of desire is software  :)
-cranioscopical (February 18, 2009, 03:30 PM)

Ha, ha - I had attempted to get a qualifier in my post about that but gave up because I didn't want to detract from the clarity of my argument  :o

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
How about getting a Magic 8-Ball to agree? You might have to ask it a few times, but I'm sure it will eventually become agreeable.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about getting a Magic 8-Ball to agree? You might have to ask it a few times, but I'm sure it will eventually become agreeable.

Hahaha! I was thinking along those same lines.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love the idea. I had...um...a friend that used to use his cat's first and last name for all sorts of things. After a while, Mr. Glen Willow even began to get mail addressed to him personally.

One letter stated: due to your excellent credit rating we are making you this exclusive offer...

(Glen "Tuna breath" Willow? Excellent credit rating? Now that's one smart and successful cat IMHO. ;))

Still, I was curious as to what the ramifications would be if something like that ever hit the fan. I figured everyone would just have a good laugh about it. Unfortunately, I ran this concept past an attorney I know while we were having lunch (thereby avoiding a consultation fee :Thmbsup:).

She said that the idea, while very funny, would still constitute an act of fraud on the part of the person sending in the cat's name. In the USA, it's illegal to use a fraudulent name, or the name of anyone not legally qualified, to enter into a contract. That would include minors, fictitious characters, and pets or other non-human entities.

She said that if you ever got hauled into court, and argued that your cat signed the contract instead of you, you'd very probably get you butt handed to you by the judge. And the fact you knowingly used a fraudulent name with the intent to deceive the other party would leave you open to possible criminal charges as well.

When I pointed out that it was only meant to be a joke, she just smiled. "Stunts like that are only funny until you land in court," she said.

Freekin' lawyers are such killjoys... :down: :mad:

----

Of course they gotta catch you first... ;D

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:29 AM by 40hz »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

(Glen "Tuna breath" Willow? Excellent credit rating? Now that's one smart and successful cat IMHO. ;))

So that's what happened to Steve Martin's cat! All those years of wearing the bunny ears with the fake arrow through the head and forging Steve's signature in order to cash his cheques must have paid off  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

So that's what happened to Steve Martin's cat! All those years of wearing the bunny ears with the fake arrow through the head and forging Steve's signature in order to cash his cheques must have paid off  ;D

Actually, after an unsuccessful attempt by a group of admirers (of whom the less said the better) to get him on Newton MA's ballot (as an independent candidate), I understand Glen went on become the absolute dictator and "President-for-Life" of some small country somewhere.

I'd suspect it's a place where they also can tuna.

Rumors say, for his next career move, he intends to take over all of Asia once some "minor personnel changes" are completed.

"Do not be afraid. Be very afraid."

:)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:45 AM by 40hz »