topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using LBC on a jump drive - how to protect settings on HD version?  (Read 4490 times)

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It appears from what I've tried so far that it's risky to use LBC on a portable USB device when the host computer already has LBC installed.

I set up LBC on my jump drive and built nodes to some of the portable apps and utilities I keep on that drive.  Worked fine, except when I next ran the LBC setup which resides permanently on my C drive, the dock for that computer had been overwritten with that on the portable version. 

Restored from the backup with no problem, but I've put on hold the idea of running LBC portably until I can figure out how to keep this from happening again.
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using LBC on a jump drive - how to protect settings on HD version?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20 PM »
the dock from the computer almost certainly was not overwritten.
unlike similar programs, LBC can switch between different user files that describe docks.
this affords a lot more flexibility, but it does lead to some real confusion sometimes when someone launches LBC and finds that their nodes have "dissapeared". 

so i'd like to suggest that probably what happened is that your LBC opened one file when you expected it to open another.  you can browse to the .MCF file which is the extension used for node definition files.  Search for such files on your hard drive or usb to find them.

now to run LBC portably, create a file called ConfigDir.ini in your USB launchbar commander directory (i will start including this in future releases), and add the single line to that file from notepad or similar plain text editor:
CONFIGDIR=.

that will tell LBC when run from the usb drive to store all settings in that same directory, and is the way that all of my programs are configured to run portably.

let us know if you get it working and find your original .mcf file.  feel free to contact me directly if you need more help ([email protected])