topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: education including computer sought as I have been bumped  (Read 3215 times)

kishjeff

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
education including computer sought as I have been bumped
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Hi.

I'm getting bumped off by my un-named company.
They offer 2500 in post-let-go education reimbursement for qualified educators.
So I'm looking to get educated in .net some, but there is a catch...
I'd like the class to include a computer so I have something new (can't really affored one by myself right now)
to develop software with.

Anyway I appreciate any ideas, pointers, etc.

thanks
Jeff

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: education including computer sought as I have been bumped
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Your company is bumping you off?! That's a bit drastic, isn't it? What did you do, sleep with the boss' teenage daughter?

Sorry, couldn't resist. My understanding of being bumped off is "killed"  :P Anyway, hope that provides you with a laugh dduring what can only be a stressful and trying time.

Now, it would help us to help you, I think, if you give us an idea of where you are? A class that includes hardware will likely be "physical", meaning that you'll need to attend in person, and I'm assuming that your employer is going to pay for the course(s), but not airfare and living expenses if you have to move in order to attend school? Where I am, there are a lot of 12 to 18 month courses that offer students a new notebook on successful completion. They tend to be vocational colleges, though some may well offer some computer training. Not sure!

kishjeff

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: education including computer sought as I have been bumped
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Your company is bumping you off?! That's a bit drastic, isn't it? What did you do, sleep with the boss' teenage daughter?
heh heh.. no I guess bumped off is a bad term.. at least in American English.. I'm not sure where I picked up that gem of a literary remark.

Sorry, couldn't resist. My understanding of being bumped off is "killed"  :P Anyway, hope that provides you with a laugh dduring what can only be a stressful and trying time.
laughs are good.

Now, it would help us to help you, I think, if you give us an idea of where you are? A class that includes hardware will likely be "physical", meaning that you'll need to attend in person, and I'm assuming that your employer is going to pay for the course(s), but not airfare and living expenses if you have to move in order to attend school? Where I am, there are a lot of 12 to 18 month courses that offer students a new notebook on successful completion. They tend to be vocational colleges, though some may well offer some computer training. Not sure!
I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have about 2500$ to spend. If possible I'd like to pick up some dot net expertise, or lacking that, improve my java web application ability or maybe worst comes to worst, microsoft sharepoint.

thanks much.