topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for February 16th, 2009 - Codename "Forum Valentines"  (Read 26696 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for February 16th, 2009
Codename "Forum Valentines"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our blog"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings and welcome to another edition of the newsletter.  With only 28 days, February has always seemed like a bit of a rip-off to me compared to the other months.  Let's just try to make the best of it by keeping busy.  If you're feeling like you need a bit of balance after Valentine's Day, I posted a link to a free mp3 album by one of my very favorite Singer/Songwriters, Edith Frost.  And If you have a significant other maybe you can let us know in the forum if you exchanged some special gifts?  If not, and you're feeling like you need some cheering up, don't miss the silly humour thread for a few good laughs (see section 3 below).

If you have young kids, you should check out a pair of programs made by dc members recently, designed to let the young ones pound away on the keyboard and amuse themselves.  One is called "Crazy Little Fingers", and was coded for our recent NANY programming challenge, and another is called "Teddy" and was coded in the last week or two as a programming experiment.  Crazy Little Fingers shows pictures of animals and objects matching the keys pressed; "Teddy" plays different drumkit sounds for each key.  Both make it easy for you to customize using your own photos and sounds.

And for forum regulars, I've been hard at work in the last two weeks working on new forum features; see section 3 below for more details.

2. Your Participation Requested

No matter what your level of computer knowledge, or how long you've been a DC member, we'd love to have you participate on the forum.  See the links below for some good places to jump in and make your first post.

3. New Forum Features

I've been hard at work in the last two weeks working on new forum features that have been requested for quite some time.  You can now mark threads on the forum to ignore and rate topics as well as bookmark them.  A new award/badge system makes it fun to see who has participated in different activities.  And if you haven't placed your pin on the new member map yet, please do so (and if you are paranoid about big brother finding you just place it where you wished you could go on vacation).

4. General Software Discussion

It's probably fair to say that the majority of the discussions on DonationCoder.com are about computer software.  Below are some noteworthy threads about general software issues posted to DC since the last newsletter.

5. Specific Software Discussion

The previous section collected recent threads about general software issues.  This section collects thread about specific programs posted to the forum since the last newsletter:

6. DC Updates and Member Coding

In each newsletter we highlight some of the software coded by DC members that is available on Donationcoder.

7. Mini-Reviews by Members

We encourage forum members to post quick mini-reviews of software they discover.  Since the last newsletter we've had quite a few new ones.

8. Fun and Games

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

9. Coding Snack Requests?

Coding snacks are treats for the software aficionado. If there's some tool that you've been looking for without success, you have nothing to lose by asking... Post a clear description of what you're wanting and one of Donationcoder's resident coding gurus might just take up the challenge.   Here are some of the notable requests being discussed currently.

10. Developer's Corner

If you're not a developer, don't be put off by the title of this section. There is likely something of interest to you on the Developer's Corner. It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  And it's great to see that the section has been pretty active over the last few months -- keep it up people!

11. News You Can Use

DC Member Ehtyar has taken to producing wonderfully weekly summaries of important tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web.  A big hit on the forum.  How is he able to keep up this pace and when will he collapse from exhaustion? We are all waiting to find out.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:13 PM by mouser »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for February 16th, 2009 - Codename "Forum Valentines"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:45 AM »
Yaaay, new newsletter :) Ty Mouse Man  :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:14 AM »
February has always seemed like a bit of a rip-off

According to Garfield, February is "the Monday of the months", and you know how Garfield loves Mondays :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:27 AM »
It's pretty amazing to see the cumulative output of a month's worth of DonationCoder.com. And this is only a fractional amount of the content traffic on here. Great tease to lure you to areas I seldom explore.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:43 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Zaine. Great newsletter, mouser  :Thmbsup: Digesting all of the threads that I missed on my own now... and folllowing links to other threads and information that they point to...

Happy, happy, joy, joy  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:51 PM »
It's pretty amazing to see the cumulative output of a month's worth of DonationCoder.com.

Actually we are trying to get back into the 2-week intervals for newsletters.. makes it a bit less of a flood of information i think.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Don't remember if I asked this before or if it's posted, but is there an easy way to "report" topics to be included in the newsletter? Just to make editing it easier for you... Not that actually writing a mail is too much work, but I'm a tad bit lazy to be honest :-[

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Couldn't agree more, Zaine. Great newsletter, mouser  :Thmbsup: Digesting all of the threads that I missed on my own now... and folllowing links to other threads and information that they point to...

Happy, happy, joy, joy  :)

Darwin, You remember The Loved One too? Where is Mom's Big Tub when you need it?
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Don't remember if I asked this before or if it's posted, but is there an easy way to "report" topics to be included in the newsletter? Just to make editing it easier for you

great question.. i was thinking of hooking into the thread rating feature that i've recently added to help.. so that when making the newsletter i could see which threads were rated highly by people.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Thanks for the newsletter!

Tony Dodd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Thank you!!!! I always look forward to the newsletter.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38 PM »
And by the way, thanks for the new automation you did with the newsletter! I don't usually get the newsletter in my e-mail until a couple days have passed, but it arrived in my inbox today! :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Thanks again!

I hope doing a more frequent release becomes practical, but also easier -- have my fingers crossed that technology can be appropriately leveraged ;)