ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows Secrets jumps shark

(1/4) > >>

CWuestefeld:
We've complained about the quality of the "Windows Secrets" newsletter in the past, and the fact that it's aimed toward much less sophisticated users than the other publications that it's swallowed. I think they've really showed us this in the latest update:

As you can see, they are referring to VNC-derived remote desktop apps as "virtual machine software". I think that anyone claiming to inform the rest of us ought to understand that this label applies to programs like VMware and VirtualPC; VNC is a completely unrelated beast.

As I sit here with my mouse over the "Post" button it occurs to me that this post may be somewhat cruel, so I'm hesitant. On the other hand, I think it really calls into question their real-world experience and their editing. And readers have certainly been offering constructive criticism for some time; they've had every chance to get things in order.

Update: I should specify that this is in reference to their newsletter edition "Windows Secrets NEWS UPDATE • Issue 184a • 2009-02-14".

bgd77:
I was a huge fan of "Tech Support Alert" newsletter from Gizmo Richards, until he moved to "Windows Secrets".

Are there any alternatives to "Windows Secrets"?

Darwin:
I thought I was the only one... I received the newsletter this morning with its Chicken Little-esque headlines and came away thinking WTF? FUDD...

mouser:
give 'em a break, they made a mistake in terminology.  an embarrassing mistake, but just an honest mistake.

Stoic Joker:
Giving them quarter is one thing, but it would take a complete do-over to forgive/forget/fix that one. Getting an acronym wrong is one thing (like DNS vs DSN), but getting the technology wrong when completely spelled out? Zoiks! That's a kick to the groin credibility dent for sure.

On a side note; I thought they fixed the VNC Man-in-the-Middle vulnerabilities a while ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version