topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Transfer backup files or start from scratch?  (Read 4357 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Transfer backup files or start from scratch?
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:58 PM »
I managed to wipe out some key LaunchBarCommander files on my hard drive, and the program no longer worked.  I then uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and tried to transfer what I thought were three key backup files I had saved on a flash drive: launch1.mcf (my main file with all my nodes, etc.), LaunchBarCommander.ini, and LaunchBarCommander.mcp.  To my surprise, these didn't succeed in restoring my old settings.  Is there some way I can use these files to restore what I had, or do I have to start all over again, adding each program individually?   :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Transfer backup files or start from scratch?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07 PM »
first of all, make a safe copy now of all related files so you have a good copy while you expeiment.

what you did should work fine.  uninstalling and reinstalling LBC wont mess with your own mcf node files.

now:
the .mcf file should have your nodes; the .mcp doesn't hold much, mainly just the knowledge about your .mcf file.

so start launchbar commander, the open your .mcf file.

and see if all of your nodes are there.  they should be.
launchbar commander also creates backup files so you should be able to load those too if your main .mcf got damaged somehow.

if not, email me and i can try to help more ([email protected])

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Transfer backup files or start from scratch?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Mouser, thanks VERY much for your quick and helpful response.  The problem was that when I first opened LBC, what opened was the new version, even though I had transferred my old files to the LBC directory in Program Files.  But after I read your message, I went to the launch1.mcf file, right-clicked, and told it to open with LBC.  Bingo!  It opened and showed me all my nodes.  But now I had two LBCs in my system tray, and I wasn't sure how to get rid of the one I didn't want.  I'm still not completely sure how it happened, but when I closed both and then clicked on the LBC desktop icon, it opened the right version.  I then rebooted to see whether that would be the version that loaded at startup, and it was.  So I think that all is now well (except, of course, for the oversized set of nodes that I wrote about in a message on the forum not long ago). 

Again, many thanks!!