topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Comodo Backup Free  (Read 4355 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Comodo Backup Free
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:35 AM »
Comodo has released, some time ago, a free backup software that seems really nice (for backup freaks like me at least).  It can be found on
http://backup.comodo.com/

What do you think ?

.merle1.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comodo Backup Free
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:40 AM »
From what I read on the site, it does not have partition imaging. This is the way I like to make backups, so I can't use it. If they will add this functionality in future releases I will surely try it.

MerleOne, could you describe us your process of backuping?

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23 AM »
From what I read on the site, it does not have partition imaging. This is the way I like to make backups, so I can't use it. If they will add this functionality in future releases I will surely try it.

MerleOne, could you describe us your process of backuping?

Hmm, short question long answer.

I use alternatively Drive Snapshot (with the new Drivesnap frontend, the fastest tool of all) and Image for Windows v2 (Terabyteunlimited) for C: and D: partition imaging.  My XP system is on C:, My Documents Folder is on D:, as my mail.

I use Genie Backup Pro 8 for file backup (incremental backup of My Documents, and Windows Live Mail Data every 2 days)

I use AJC BAckup for versionning of doc, xls, and other data files.

All my backups are made either on an internal second HDD, or external USB HDD.  When they are full, I burn the older image files on DVD.  Since I use differential backups when imaging C: and D:, I discard unnecessary files before burning them on DVD, so as to keep at least 1 backup per month, no more.

I recently added, on top of this, DriveClonePro 6 which has both imaging capabilities, as well as file backup and instant recovery, a bit like Goback, except it is much more compatible with most HDD tools.

I now have to keep track of my image backups in an xls file, because, I use so (too?) many imaging software and on various destinations.

I have tried in the past Paragon's imaging tools, Acronis' and O&O's, and I stay away from them.  I found 2 interesting products recently :
- R-Drive Image V4, quite powerful, with possibility to create and modify scripts, with CD-less system restoration mode (useful of PC without CD) and many nice features, however I don't like their file naming system.
- Keriver Image 4 (=PC Undo Easy Image = EAZ Image = HorizonDataSys Drive ClonerRx4) : the cheapest of such non free tools ?
.merle1.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:32 AM by MerleOne »

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:49 AM »
Ok, thanks a lot for the info. You really are a little fanatical about backup (and this is not necessarily a bad thing), probably you have some very important data you want to protect.

I only use Acronis to make images of the system partition, before installing or doing something that could lead to problems.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Comodo backup looks like an OK basic backup program - it's scheduled backups doesn't work unless the client app is running though (ie, it's not handled by the service). Sure, you can set it to run at windows startup, but seems like a bit of an oversight to me. Also, does it handle in-use files properly?
- carpe noctem