ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Finally perfected my download commenter after only 8 years

<< < (5/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
I updated to include a Help file.  The help is in TreePad format.  This utility is very  simple so there's really no need for screen shots.  As a convenience the installer puts a link in the program group in the startmenu to download TreePad Lite.

TipOff 1.62

MilesAhead:
One more little fix.  Changed to ebook stand-alone reader format for the help in the Start Menu group.  TreePad no longer needs to be on the system to read the help file.  The original .hjt help file is still in the install folder for those who prefer to read it with TreePad.

TipOff 1.63

wreckedcarzz:
In the old days of DOS BBSs, most files came as archives containing a FILE_ID.DIZ.  You ran programs that would extract FILE_ID.DIZ and/or DESCRIPT.ION files, and compile them into an allfiles list.  Very useful idea; what a pity "progress" has destroyed it...
-rjbull (February 13, 2009, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still download archive files (ZIP, RAR, 7z...) with those files - interesting to know what they are (or were) for. Heh.

Also, good idea for info on files (Really_Long_Setup_Program_Filenames_Can_Get_Annoying.exe), but does it preserve the data when moved to another directory? What about from NTFS -> FAT32 (or any other conversion)? Also, out of sheer curiosity, would the info be readable under any standard Linux file browser (eg: Nautilus)?

rjbull:
Also, good idea for info on files (Really_Long_Setup_Program_Filenames_Can_Get_Annoying.exe), but does it preserve the data when moved to another directory? What about from NTFS -> FAT32 (or any other conversion)? Also, out of sheer curiosity, would the info be readable under any standard Linux file browser (eg: Nautilus)?
-wreckedcarzz (February 26, 2009, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

DESCRIPT.ION files are preserved when you move files, provided you either use 4DOS, or a file manager aware of DESCRIPT.ION files.  Several are; Total Commander, for instance.  Most of the FILE_ID.DIZ compilers also understand DESCRIPT.ION files.  If you move a file, you may have to re-run your file information compiler / allfiles lister, but it all works.  It's a long time since I did things that way, though, especially with the move to .EXE installers.

MilesAhead:
The help is a bit of a stickler because I want the small download size but don't want to force people to get TreePad.  I added a Help Button to the Property Page instead of resorting to a start menu icon.  The running code can determine if there is a program associated with .hjt file type and prefers loading TipOffHelp.hjt.  If that isn't the case, it looks in the install folder for the ebook stand-alone help, which is available as a separate download. If both searches fail the Help Button is disabled.

Bundling the help in the stand-alone reader adds about 1.25 MB whereas the TreePad help file is only 7 KB(before compression) so it seems silly to include the large file in the setup program.

I know I could do HtmlHelp or make an index page from a bunch of html pages but for simple utilities with no screen shots TreePad is ideal. The help copy is already in overly long ReadMe files.  TreePad format makes them much easier to navigate.

TipOff 1.7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version